rockbox on 5.5g ipod
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
So, decided to reinstall rockbox on my imod after trying it many moons ago for about a week and not getting on with it. It looks the same as rockbox I use and have used for years on my irivers but under files no music is displayed, whereas on my irivers the music is all stored under files.

So, I turned database on in the imod and my music is showing up on the database now but still nothing inside the file folder.

Is this just how things are with rb on the ipod or should I be seeing my music inside the files folder too?

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 40
Yes the database is populated and all sorted out, its just that on my irivers, in the main rockbox menu it goes files, then underneath database and my music is all found inside that files folder (I havent activated database on the irivers) but in my imod, the files folder is empty and I couldnt see any of my music before I activated the database.

Just seems strange, so, I was just wondering if this was a peculiarity of the rockbox implementation on an ipod, or if there is something I could do to see my music inside that files folder.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 40
I've had zero problems with the released (finally!) version of Rockbox on my 5.5 iMod. Not even one freeze up in over 3 months! I am so totally impressed at the stability of it. I did have to get a tweaked version since I converted my iMod to CF based. Mine reads r18673M-080930.

BTW - I do not use the database. I simply navigate to Files > Music and I see all the genre sub-folders I created and populated with CD titles.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW - I do not use the database. I simply navigate to Files > Music and I see all the genre sub-folders I created and populated with CD titles.

Smae here. I use file browsing and arranged the songs in proper folders according to artists and albums.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 40
You guys want a part-time job?? How's about we send you our Ipods/Imods and you do the work of downloading and installing the Rockbox platform that's stable??

I've been reading about Rockbox for many many months, various builds and betas and so forth, and seems someone with more knowledge than I could make a nice little piece of change installing Rockbox and "debugging" everything for the customer.

Just a thought

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 40
FWIW I think if you drag and drop your music onto the disk via Windows Explorer then you use the Files menu in Rockbox. However, if you sync via iTunes then you have to activate/build the database and then use that to browse instead.

I had many problems a little while ago until I figured that little deal out...

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys want a part-time job?? How's about we send you our Ipods/Imods and you do the work of downloading and installing the Rockbox platform that's stable??

I don't know about the ipods but it's pretty easy installing on iriver h1xx. Download official firmware, the rockbox .exe utility, patch official firmware, copy to root of iriver, flash as you normally would. Reconnect to computer copy .rockbox directory. Done

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 40
Installing Rockbox is pretty easy actually. I had tried using it several times and gave up for two main reasons: 1) battery runtimes, and 2) instability (though it wasn't too bad). I started to hear how they finally were starting to figure out the runtime issues for iPods. I then got very interested when they actually put out a release version that included iPods. I am sooooo anti-iTunes that I had been chomping at the bit for a permanent OS replacement for my beloved iMod. As I mentioned, it has been over 3 months without a hint of a hiccup.

So my recommendation is go back to the release build. No need to bother with the latest (and often times not greatest) builds. Your installations should be straight forward. Moreso than mine even, since I have a CF in mine which caused some headaches. If yours is stock (in regards to the HDD), you should be fine.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Installing Rockbox is pretty easy actually. I had tried using it several times and gave up for two main reasons: 1) battery runtimes, and 2) instability (though it wasn't too bad). I started to hear how they finally were starting to figure out the runtime issues for iPods. I then got very interested when they actually put out a release version that included iPods. I am sooooo anti-iTunes that I had been chomping at the bit for a permanent OS replacement for my beloved iMod. As I mentioned, it has been over 3 months without a hint of a hiccup.

So my recommendation is go back to the release build. No need to bother with the latest (and often times not greatest) builds. Your installations should be straight forward. Moreso than mine even, since I have a CF in mine which caused some headaches. If yours is stock (in regards to the HDD), you should be fine.

I installed mine a couple of months ago and it was a nightmare, until a poster here suggested I go back 1 build. I did and it installed easy and has worked like a charm. I guess new revisions are not always better.

I'm from the camp, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can't imagine upgrading revisions. It works fine the way it is.

My battery life is great. I'm getting 8-10 each charge. I'm not positive that's great, since I've never had anything to compare to. From what I've read though it is very good. It is for me.

I say try older release. Good luck!

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Installing Rockbox is pretty easy actually.

Well, that certainly depends!
Might be easy if you have a Windows formatted iPod, but certainly a lot of hassle (work) if you have a Mac (HFS+) formatted iPod. Then you need to apply a new partition table (command line), format a partition, install the boot loader, and then finally install the Rockbox firmware.
evil_smiley.gif

If only Rockbox had HFS+ support, just like the Apple firmware... Grrr

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that certainly depends!
Might be easy if you have a Windows formatted iPod, but certainly a lot of hassle (work) if you have a Mac (HFS+) formatted iPod. Then you need to apply a new partition table (command line), format a partition, install the boot loader, and then finally install the Rockbox firmware.
evil_smiley.gif

If only Rockbox had HFS+ support, just like the Apple firmware... Grrr

Ah. Duly noted. Yes, I am talking solely from a Windows perspective.

See? Some things are easier in Windows!
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFS+ is a file system developed by Apple Inc. I don't see how Rockbox team could have HFS+ support.

Blame Apple for propietary partition system.

Just like FAT32 is a file system developed by Microsoft Corporation.
wink.gif

Which the Rockbox team have support for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back