RockBox on 4G IPods
Feb 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rhester

500+ Head-Fier
Does anybody have success stories with RockBox on 4G IPods. I have had many freezes and wondering if it is a problem with my IPOd or is this a really common problem. Any help or ideas appreciated.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I have rockbox on a photo iPod and it will occasionally hang up for just a second but it hasn't froze on me. You could try snatching the newest version of rockbox or do a complete reinstallation.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Go to the Rockbox forums and search for "frequency scaling bug." There is a known issue with the 4G. There is an unofficial workout for this issue, which you can find in the Unsupported Build forum at the Rockbox site, in a thread started by a user named "Mikeage."

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Yea, im just about ready to switch back to the apple firmware. Although rockbox is pretty stable on my 4g 60gb photo playing mp3s, i can barely make it through a flac encoded song without it crashing. Does the frequency scaling thing help with this?

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 9
I mean don't download the frequency scaling thing. It completely destroyed my Rockbox firmware and now I have to delete it and do a complete reinstall because I don't know where the file is.

Without it, it freezes maybe every fifteen hours.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean don't download the frequency scaling thing. It completely destroyed my Rockbox firmware and now I have to delete it and do a complete reinstall because I don't know where the file is.

That's strange. I had exact same problem, my iMod will freeze after 3-4 songs. I installed "no scaling" firmware from Mikeage page and it worked like a charm all day today. You can get it here: http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox-custom-builds/

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ugester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, im just about ready to switch back to the apple firmware. Although rockbox is pretty stable on my 4g 60gb photo playing mp3s, i can barely make it through a flac encoded song without it crashing. Does the frequency scaling thing help with this?

My files are all FLAC and the mikeage build took care of that problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure what you did, mine crashed before hand, now it doesn't. Did you copy all the mikeage rockbox files to your iPod, including the rockbox.ipod file? Did you post a reply in the mikeage build thread on the rockbox.org site? He might be able to help you solve why your 4G iPod is crashing, when so many of us that are using his build are having no problem. Shouldn't be that difficult to restore rockbox just copy your old rockbox files over the ones on your iPod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by visia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange. I had exact same problem, my iMod will freeze after 3-4 songs. I installed "no scaling" firmware from Mikeage page and it worked like a charm all day today. You can get it here: http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox-custom-builds/

I concur. My 4G Photo iMod iPod used to crash all the time until I searched and found the Mikeage build via the rockbox.org site. Now running his no-frequency scalling build, my iMod hasn't crashed. I'm even now using a custom version of that build that supports album art so that the wps I'm using displays everything right and even with these extra patches still no crashing.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back