Rockbox on 4g Ipod... help!?
Dec 21, 2006 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my 4g iPod forever, and as much as I love it a lot of things on it had been bugging me so I was in the market for a new mp3 player...UNTIL I discovered the Rockbox which seemed to fix everything I had qualms about.

However, now that I've had it installed for a few weeks there are a number of things on it that are bugging me and possibly making the 4g iPod even worse than before. I've read the help manual, searched, etc but cant find solutions to the following, any ideas??

1. I keep getting these random "data abort" errors in the middle of various songs, never had this problem with same songs on apple software (Even tried reloading all the songs, still happens on random songs from time to time)

2. randomly freezes...one time it was so bad I couldnt restart it no matter what I did (and the backlight stayed on, draining batter). Had to plug it into my computer when I got home to fix the solution. Totally ruined my 2hr train ride
frown.gif

3. is there any way to have the user interface a bit easier to navigate, like Apple's software? I frequently press the wrong buttons, etc even after weeks of using this thing

4. for some reason my playlists won't save no matter how many times I hit "save current playlist"...what am I doing wrong?

5. annoying pauses between songs once in a while (not always)...isnt this supposed to be gapless??

for the record, I have the latest (as of 3 weeks ago) rockbox installed

If I cant get these problems solved I may have to resort back to apple's software since i'm traveling abroad in a few days and cant afford to have a non working Rockbox.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 3
The 4g has a CPU frequency scaling issue that can cause crashes. There are some threads on the Rockbox forums about it. One workaround for the time being is to enable CPU boost at all times rather than attempting to scale the CPU as need. This thread at the Rockbox forums has a build that you can try that includes this patch:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=6742.0

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 3
I use a version of Rockbox by mikeage that solves the frequency scaling issues. I have no crashing problems now. you can find and download it at:

http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox/

If you are using the 4g Photo/Color make sure to download the color-noscaling.zip version and not the 4G version which is for the grayscale 4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back