Rockbox killed my iPod?
Mar 27, 2007 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
so in the process of trying to install Rockbox I think I've killed my 4thGen iPod. I was following the instructions and now the screen stays lit the entire time with the Apple logo. Any suggestions before I write this off? It's not showing up as a drive either and I'm on OSX

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 11
Reset powers it off but it still comes back with a lit screen and Apple logo

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 11
you could give this a go

http://www.ipodwizard.net/wiki/index...rced_Disk_Mode
Quote:

1. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons. The iPod will restart and the Apple logo will appear.
2. When you see the Apple logo appear, press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons. Your iPod should now say Disk Mode and look similar to the iPod in the picture.
3. At this point you will can connect the iPod to your computer to further work on the solution to your problem. The screen of the iPod should now say "Do not disconnect."

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Rockbox has NEVER killed an iPod. In fact, it is almost impossible to kill an iPod.

Follow the instruction in zip22's post to get into disk mode, and then you should be able to connect to your computer. You can then follow the suggestions in this thread: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=8205.0

If you tell me what installation instructions you were following and what step caused difficulty for you, I can probably help you troubleshoot.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 11
maybe almost impossible through software manipulation
wink.gif
i'm pretty sure theres a multitude of ways to easily 'kill' an ipod.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 11
I just ended up "restoring" the iPod. Fortunately I have 98% of the music backed up so it wasn't a real loss. Thanks for the tip Zip22... that did the trick.

Guess I'm going to have to re-re-reread the instructions again!

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess I'm going to have to re-re-reread the instructions again!

Make sure that you are reading the instructions that are in the official manual at the Rockbox site. There have been a number of changes recently to the installation procedure as ipodpatcher has been improved, and many of the sites that have tutorials and such things have outdated instructions.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 11
just as an FYI, Rockbox on the 4th gen was really laggy a couple months ago, not sure about now.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just as an FYI, Rockbox on the 4th gen was really laggy a couple months ago, not sure about now.

I saw that on the site. Might wait and see if a different version comes out. Or buy a new iPod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back