RockBox + iPod + Mac = not possible?
Mar 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Yo,

So i finally got an ipod 5.5th gen and installed RockBox on it.

The first "problem" i encountered was that I needed a windows formated iPod to install rockbox on it. Without much hesitation, I booted up windows XP on my Mac, restored the iPod and installed RockBox.

I use Mac OS X 98 % of the time, so i rebooted into Mac OS X and plugged in the iPod attemping to start transfer my music to the RockBoxed player. But nothing shows up in finder, I can use the iPod as a media controler though.

Is it really true that RockBoxed iPods aren't supported by Mac OS X?

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 6
I use a mac (macbook pro) and rockboxed 5.5 gen with no problems. 
although I did have to reformat my ipod on a friends pc initially. 
then downloaded rockbox install wizard on my computer and installed it on my ipod. for some reason my first try didn't install correctly but my second try worked.

the rockboxed ipod works well, I drag and drop my music in the directory files I have organized, and upload only videos using itunes. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I use a mac (macbook pro) and rockboxed 5.5 gen with no problems. 
although I did have to reformat my ipod on a friends pc initially. 
then downloaded rockbox install wizard on my computer and installed it on my ipod. for some reason my first try didn't install correctly but my second try worked.

the rockboxed ipod works well, I drag and drop my music in the directory files I have organized, and upload only videos using itunes. 

Ok cool,

Thanks for your reply,

Did you rockbox on windows or on mac OS?

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Ok cool,

Thanks for your reply,

Did you rockbox on windows or on mac OS?

after formating on a windows pc, I rockboxed it on my mac. 

also as far as I know even without rockboxing, mac's can see and load music from itunes on windows formated ipods, but not the other way around. so not sure why your ipod is having problems with your mac..
maybe try formating on a PC, and then see if the problem goes away.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
after formating on a windows pc, I rockboxed it on my mac. 

also as far as I know even without rockboxing, mac's can see and load music from itunes on windows formated ipods, but not the other way around. so not sure why your ipod is having problems with your mac..
maybe try formating on a PC, and then see if the problem goes away.

I did format it on a PC and installed RockBox as well. I think the problem is that I installed RockBox on the windows side. Here is what i think i need to do:
Format on a windows PC,
Then go back to Mac and install RockBox.

Then it should work i think, that's how you did right?

Thanks mate, your replies really helps :)

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I did format it on a PC and installed RockBox as well. I think the problem is that I installed RockBox on the windows side. Here is what i think i need to do:
Format on a windows PC,
Then go back to Mac and install RockBox.

Then it should work i think, that's how you did right?

Thanks mate, your replies really helps :)

you're welcome!
yes, that was exactly how I did it. good luck and hopefully it should all work out well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back