Rockbox + Ipod Is it really worth it? (Question)
Jan 3, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 22
Most users will use the EQ to boost, rather than cut, frequencies. This adds gain. If your files are mastered hot, the added gain will push them over the 0dB line, thus pushing them into clipping. The "pre-cut" feature allows you to lower the overall gain of the music to compensate for the gain that is being added through the equalizer. This allows you to use the EQ to shape your sound without adding distortion.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 22
Regarding Precut, there may be another advantage. The iPod headphone amplifier performs well at high setting like 85% to 90%. (I first learned this from Headroom who recommend that you turn it up near maximum for use with their portable amps.) Someone else on here simply suggested that the 10dB precut was giving their music more presence and life, so I tried it. For whatever reason, I have found an improvement. I do also add a small amount of gain to my bass in hardware EQ.

My post was certainly deficient in not addressing the daily-build beta nature of Rockbox. For me that's fun. See what might have changed or improved. But it is not as solid as the iPod OS. The big issues that i have had are battery life (major negative if you're surfing from song to song) and also that browsing your artist directories can slow down and get a bit choppy whereas the iPod OS is fast and smooth.

Apologies If I was perhaps being too unreservedly positive. But really I absolutely love Rockbox on my iPod.

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 22
I too got lots of hiss without rockbox using cx300's on both an ipod 4G and an iaudio X5L. With rockbox that hiss was gone. My only thoughts are the rockbox firmware is just..... better.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran it for a few months, and to be honest...not yet. I think it's wonderful what those people are doing and I will use it once a stable and effecient release is given to us.

My sentiments exactly. I get pretty regular freezes with Rockbox. Other than that it's fantastic.

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding Precut, there may be another advantage. The iPod headphone amplifier performs well at high setting like 85% to 90%. (I first learned this from Headroom who recommend that you turn it up near maximum for use with their portable amps.) Someone else on here simply suggested that the 10dB precut was giving their music more presence and life, so I tried it. For whatever reason, I have found an improvement.

On the iPod video, the hardware allows volume to be set to up to +6dB, so at full volume it could be pushing into clipping, even without any EQ applied. 10dB of pre-cut would compensate for that and leave you a bit of headroom.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toastmaster: Great themes are available on the Rockbox site. It's not at all like Foobar in this regard. The phk1 theme that I use (and tweaked slightly) is much nicer than the iPod theme IMHO.

Ooh, good to know. As a sidenote, I like foobar 2000's minimalist setup. Why waste RAM on flashy flash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back