RockBox iPod 5G vs. Zen Vision:M
May 9, 2006 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dhaven

Banned
How do they compare? I've had a 5G 60Gb iPod for just under a month, and it just isn't doing it for me (I have it paired with a PA2V2 and a pair of Grado SR-125) compared to my old iRiver iHP-120. I really want a more tweakable graphic equalizer... I've pretty much DECIDED that the Vision:M shoud be my next upgrade, but would it be worth it giving RockBox a shot first? How is the EQ on RockBox?

David

May 9, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 21
Well, I went ahead and tried RockBox... it's an improvement over the Apple firmware (but maybe not so polished.. duh), but the thing is it's a software fix and it won't change the qualities of the hardware.

Any comments from anyone who's heard both in the flesh? Otherwise I may have to end up picking up a ZV:M from Best Buy to try it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 21
i tried to put rockbox on mine today. The bootloader-video.bin didn't work. I tried so many different ways, still to no avail. What method did you use?

May 9, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 21
It's debatable. On one side you got people saying "ZVM sounds better than iPod" while others say the opposite.

My recommendation to you is to buy it from BB or FS, test it out, if you don't like the sound quality (or feel it's similar) then return it for a refund, of course you should probably ask them beforehand to make sure you can return it.

I was at a BB last week and was playing with and iPod video briefly, I plugged in my ER4P's (amped) and listed to it for about 10 minutes...and for some reason *I think* it did sound better on the iPod. This coming from a person who is now partially Anti-iPod
rolleyes.gif
(i say "i think" because i'm probably in a state of denial
tongue.gif
) I don't know what it was...but it was something about the iPod that made it sound slightly better

Anyways, like i said
1) buy it
2) test it
3) return it

May 9, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt
i tried to put rockbox on mine today. The bootloader-video.bin didn't work. I tried so many different ways, still to no avail. What method did you use?

I just followed the steps EXACTLY as outlined in the guide. I botched it the first time and had to run the iPod Updater... second time it worked and I went and installed the skin, and an album art patch.

BTW... the video doesn't really work on RockBox. Better just to boot into Apple firmware when you want to watch videos.

Thanks for the advice.. I will probably go pick up a ZV:M this evening and see how it goes.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 21
Alright.. update time.

I picked up a black ZV:M for 379.99$ Canadian from Best Buy, loaded up a couple of my favourite albums. I'm in the process of comparing the two right now. RockBox's EQ is better than the ZV:M's, but I think I'm leaning towards the ZV:M's general sound quality right now.

Also, RockBox's UI vs. the Vision's UI. The Vision's wins hands-down. Also, the video support on the Vision is fantastic.. I may actually end up using the Vision for some short movies!

EDIT: How much do you think I can grab on Head-Fi for a 28-day-old iPod 60Gb? I probably need about 325$ US to break even... do you think I could fetch about 350$ US paired with the camera connector and an iTrip?

MOD EDIT: This 2 day member shares his IP address with a suspected scammer OlivePink, and has therefore been banned. I trust everyone has read the sticky post entitled "Protect Yourself Against Scammers

May 10, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaven
Alright.. update time.

I picked up a black ZV:M for 379.99$ Canadian from Best Buy, loaded up a couple of my favourite albums. I'm in the process of comparing the two right now. RockBox's EQ is better than the ZV:M's, but I think I'm leaning towards the ZV:M's general sound quality right now.

Also, RockBox's UI vs. the Vision's UI. The Vision's wins hands-down. Also, the video support on the Vision is fantastic.. I may actually end up using the Vision for some short movies!

Isn't that fairly expensive for ZV:M?
They should be $300~ish

$298 at Ace Digital Club via Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

I've seen them go for cheaper($275ish), can't remember where though

EDIT: Nvm, didn't see that you were located in Canada
Wow you guys really pay premiums over there!

May 10, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Isn't that fairly expensive for ZV:M?
They should be $300~ish

Not in Canada. 379.99$ Canadian, plus 7% PST. 433.19$ Canadian roughly equates to 395$ US.

May 10, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 21
I own a black ZVM (2nd one after FM crapped out) and my 15-year-old has a black 5G iPod video (30GB), and I have listened to both, same songs, same Cmoy amp, etc. To me, no comparison, especially the video. But even on music, the ZVM rules. Just one person's opinion. I also have a 4GB iPod Mini (bought it from my daughter so she could finance her 5G), and it's EQ settings stink. Sound is fair at best...an iPod tradition? My Muvo TX FM sounds better.

May 10, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaven
7% PST. 433.19$ Canadian roughly equates to 395$ US.

I believe thats GST, as you Albertans don't have PST. Oh how I wish I still lived in Alberta. Anyways, in my short comparisons at meets I've been impressed with the ZVM. There wasn't a rockbox ipod there, but it certainly beat the standard ones that I had a chance to listen to.

May 10, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I believe thats GST, as you Albertans don't have PST.

Yup, sorry. My bad.

Anyhow, I've decided to keep the Zen Vision:M. Anyone in the market for an immaculate 60Gb 5G iPod?

I've also just ordered a pair of Etymotic ER6i to go with it. Good lord, this site really takes a chunk out of your pocketbook, eh?

Thanks for all the help.

May 11, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 21
Dhaven: Why did you prefer the zv:m over the ipod finally?
Also: is your 60 gig ipod the black one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back