Rockbox Installed Withdrawn tstarn06 helped me get it
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd have no idea what you are saying except I know there's a problem with the 1.08 installer.. missing a DLL file?

I ended up using the 1.07b installer and then manually copying the new rockbox 3.1 over the 3.0

someone posted the missing dll on the rockbox forum too.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, some more information would be helpful.
* Which DAP?
* Which OS?
* Rockbox release build or nightly build?

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 14
I can't tell if the OP is blaming or praising tstarn06 at this stage.
confused_face_2.gif

Is the problem fixed?

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Well, the OP had a problem with 1.08, and so I just suggested he try 1.07, and it worked. But now that they apparently have fixed the problem, do I just install 1.08 over top of 1.07? The OP has a 30GB iPod 5.5g, which is also the DAP I have. By coincidence, he posted that he would pay someone $20 to help him load Rockbox, and I had just gone through the same hassle, and just tried the lower version on a lark. So I passed the info on to him, and it worked. Any major reason to move to 1.08? Just curious.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 14
The 1.07, 1.08 you talk about is just different versions of the automated installer tool.
As long as it has Rockbox installed successfully I see no need to repeat using the latest version. What matters are that you run the latest Rockbox firmware. Version 3.1, or a later development build.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Guess I need to check. No idea if the older Rockbox Utility installs the latest firmware or not. Is it automatically connected to the older firmware (example, 1.07 is linked to 3.0, while 1.08 is linked to 3.1?). Other poster says he had to manually install 3.1 over 3.0. I am gonna check build number now. Thanks.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 14
I guess when I said withdrawn I wasn't clear enough the issuehad been resolved. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have no idea what you are saying except I know there's a problem with the 1.08 installer.. missing a DLL file?

I ended up using the 1.07b installer and then manually copying the new rockbox 3.1 over the 3.0

someone posted the missing dll on the rockbox forum too.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess I need to check. No idea if the older Rockbox Utility installs the latest firmware or not. Is it automatically connected to the older firmware (example, 1.07 is linked to 3.0, while 1.08 is linked to 3.1?). Other poster says he had to manually install 3.1 over 3.0. I am gonna check build number now. Thanks.

That is the case. But if you installed 3.0 with utility v1.07 you can either get 1.08 working, or just drag'n'drop the unzipped V3.1 .rockbox directory in the player and answer "yes" to replace same-name files.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My goodness, $20 for Rockbox help?

Yeah, I was shocked by the small amount as well..
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 14
I guess one might think $20 was a bit much, but when one is almost over the edge with trying to install a version that ended up being buggy and could not install correctly in the first place, how was I to know. Turns out it was a no-brainer when I simply went to the 1.07 firmware.

Yes, I have $20 any day to spend, than the experience I went through trying to install something that did not work, I am not rich by any means, but time-poor I am.

One does not always know the intentions of a man.

Tstarn06 was very kind to not accept because he had to same experience that day, simply told me that when he installed 1.07 all worked well.

I appreciate his kindness.

He also said it is in the spirit of Head-Fiers to share knowledge. His fix for me was a simple pm, easy direction and all worked fine.

KRMathis, I know you were kidding. Calexico I not sure you were.

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the case. But if you installed 3.0 with utility v1.07 you can either get 1.08 working, or just drag'n'drop the unzipped V3.1 .rockbox directory in the player and answer "yes" to replace same-name files.

Thanks, done. Now I just have to learn how to best use the EQ and other features. This is great because I had an old 5.5g iPod with a busted HP out jack, and this may spark me to get it fixed. I have the replacement part, but too chicken to DIY it. Maybe I can take it to an Apple store or repair shop and they will do it for cheap.

Oh, I did replace the .rockbox folder, but is there a way to check the version running? Do I have to reboot the system? Under version, there is no clear cut 3.1 cite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back