Rockbox Installation Problems (Windows)
Mar 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eleven13

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I recently got a refurbished iPod video 5.5gen and I am currently trying to rockbox it. However, when I go to the rockbox utility and set my mount point and everything, after clicking "install" it comes up saying "could not open iPod" and the installation never progresses.

I have no idea how to fix this problem. The iPod keeps flashing "Do Not Disconnect" so I'm assuming something is trying to use which is causing issues it but I have no idea what that could be. I installed iTunes to format it to windows but the problem is still persisting so I'm at a loss as to what to do. 

I even tried to start it up in disk-mode manually, but as soon as disk mode opened up it again flashed "Do Not Disconnect" and I had the same problem.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes.
Sounds like a 5th gen, rather than a 5.5
I was hoping you were going to say 2007 because then it would be a 'classic' not a 5.5.
AFAIK 5.5 was only attributed to late 2006 models, but isn't officially recognised by apple, and is lumped under '5th gen' along with the older ones.

The plot thickens. I'm afraid I have no answer.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 6
  Yes.
I was hoping you were going to say 2007 because then it would be a 'classic' not a 5.5.
AFAIK 5.5 was only attributed to late 2006 models, but isn't officially recognised by apple, and is lumped under '5th gen' along with the older ones.

I'm pretty sure it is a 5.5, just because it has a "search" function and from what I've read the standard 5th generations do not (also got it off of amazon from a 3rd party seller advertised as a 5.5 80GB, though that doesn't really mean much!). The place that I bought it from said that the rear shell was replaced along with the HD and battery, so that may be where the discrepancy comes from (the serial number is probably wrong too if that is the case).

Thank you for the help though!

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 6

Yes.

I'm pretty sure it is a 5.5, just because it has a "search" function and from what I've read the standard 5th generations do not (also got it off of amazon from a 3rd party seller advertised as a 5.5 80GB, though that doesn't really mean much!). The place that I bought it from said that the rear shell was replaced along with the HD and battery, so that may be where the discrepancy comes from (the serial number is probably wrong too if that is the case).

Thank you for the help though!

Ah - that makes sense then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back