Rockbox has worst battery life EVER
Jan 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mpawluk91

1000+ Head-Fier
I put rockbox on my ipod 5.5 a d this thing has a brand new battery and it dies in like 3 hours, it lasts for a good week on regular firmware. It's not just the ipod either cause my brother has a sansa clip + brand new and rockbox kills that in 2 hours or less. Anyone have an idea how to fix this. I don't really want to get an external battery cause that kills the point of mobility

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I put rockbox on my ipod 5.5 a d this thing has a brand new battery and it dies in like 3 hours, it lasts for a good week on regular firmware. It's not just the ipod either cause my brother has a sansa clip + brand new and rockbox kills that in 2 hours or less. Anyone have an idea how to fix this. I don't really want to get an external battery cause that kills the point of mobility

You're doing something wrong. My iPod 5.5 will play for 22 hours....and my Clips run 15-17 hours with Rockbox.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 13
With Rockbox can you switch back to the original firmware?  Essentially turn off the Rockbox feature?  Or just remove it.
And then see if battery life returns to normal.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah hold down the menu button and the select button at the same time and it will reset, after you see the screen turn black set the hold switch to lock and it will boot apples firmware, if u reset without doing the hold switch it boots rockbox, and yeah the battery is wayyy better in apples firmware

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you for the info.  I have an iPod classic 5.5 coming and I was thinking of Rockboxing it when it arrives. 

Quote:
Yeah hold down the menu button and the select button at the same time and it will reset, after you see the screen turn black set the hold switch to lock and it will boot apples firmware, if u reset without doing the hold switch it boots rockbox, and yeah the battery is wayyy better in apples firmware

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Apple's rated battery life for the  5.5 .....

Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

[size=1em] Storage/capacity
30GB (7,500 songs) 80GB (20,000 songs)
[size=1em] Color[/size] Black, White Black, White
[size=1em] Battery life[/size] Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3.5 hours of video playback Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 6 hours of slideshows with music; up to 6.5 hours of video playback
[size=1em] Display[/size] 2.5-inch (diagonal) color LCD with LED backlight
[size=1em] Ports[/size] Dock connector, stereo minijack, composite video and audio through minijack
[size=1em] Connectivity[/size] USB through dock connector; composite video (with AV cable, sold separately) and audio through headphone jack or line out on the iPod Universal Dock (sold separately)
[size=1em] Charge time[/size] About 4 hours (2-hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
[size=1em] Audio support[/size] AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF
[size=1em] Photo support[/size] Syncs iPod-viewable photos in JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only), and PNG formats
[size=1em] Video support[/size] H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
[size=1em] Size[/size] 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.43 inches 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.55 inches
[size=1em] Weight[/size] 4.8 ounces 5.5 ounces
[size=1em] Included accessories[/size] Earphones, USB cable, dock adapter, case

[/size]
So my 5.5G does better with Rockbox than stock....

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Jan 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Jan 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Best to post your issue in a thread on RB's website - their developers are very good about responding to user's issues and will guide you in how to maximize battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back