rockbox freezes up on 5th g ipod?
Jul 28, 2006 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all! after the rave reviews of rockbox (and really wantinig my music to be sorted by folder not artist) I installed rockbox via the automated install. it loads up and everything works but i notice i cant listen to music and browse through my folders or the ipod chokes up, usually just skipping (like a cd player would if shaken) and sometimes even freezing up all the way so i have to hold down the menu and middle button at the same time.

does any one else's do this?

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 9
I've never had it lock up completely, but it will cut out when scrolling too quickly sometimes. I just try to scroll slowly to minimize it. It's not optimized yet, so unfortunately until they get they clean things up it's something you have to live with. The feature freeze has been lifted so hopefully the development will pick back up and this will get squared away.

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 9
My 5g 60 gb has never frozen nor skipped with RockBox.

I have the 7/23/2006 build of RB, and have latest iPod Firmware (6/28?).

Also, I use no EQ, no album art, and no animation in the WPS - each of which I've heard, can cause problems.

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 9
It must be from me scrolling too fast, it locked up everytime i went from an "a" artist to a "z" artist rather quickly, i'll try slowing down

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 9
didn't I read somewhere that issues with this have not been resolved for the 5g Ipod??? Thought I did

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 9
jerb ... I was able to reproduce your skipping symptoms by scrolling as fast as possible while playing music. I guess my normal scrolling rates were never enough to challenge the iPod's cpu.
wink.gif

I recall seeing on RockBox site that they are still very much in the process of optimizing playback processor utilization, so things can only get better. Another problem area at the moment, according to the site and message boards, is when excessive moving displays (vu meter, etc) are set in the WPS.

So, me, I just use a relatively static WPS, scroll at sane rates, and enjoy the music.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 9
All my music skips badly on my 4g with the EQ on, but as soon as I turn it off everything runs smoothely. Granted, I don't usually scroll through my artist lists, but during normal playback I get no skips with the zezayer wps, crossfeed on, and no EQ.

Jul 30, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 9
FYI... I turned on the Directory Cache and that seems to help the lag while scrolling.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I've had problems with crashing or skipping on some FLAC files. It's either my Mini's CPU can't handle it, there was a problem with encoding (too much CPU usage at the same time) or too high of a compression level, or a mix of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back