Rockbox for 6G iPod?
Oct 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm debating whether or not to spend the money on an amp with crossfeed, as I understand Rockbox has a nice crossfeed function. The problem is... no Rockbox for the 6G iPod!
frown.gif

Does anyone know if the developers at Rockbox are working on functionality for the 6G? If it's in the works, I'll just wait and buy a Corda HeadSix or an iBasso D2, which are cheaper than the Corda Move or Practical Devices XM5 with crossfeed.

Or should I just suck up and deal, and buy an amp with crossfeed?

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Not working on it AFAIK. And even if they were a usable release would be pretty far off as the hardware platform of the current Apple releases is quite different to previous revisions. So it's a completely new port of rockbox, not just an update to a new version of the iPod.

I say suck up and get an amp with crossfeed if you really need it, you'd be waiting a looong time if you wait for a new rockbox port.

Of if you're feeling brave: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NewPort
tongue.gif

There's also a thread about it here: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14871.0 I'm having a read now.

edit - Meh... not a very interesting thread.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Apple encrypted a huge chunk of the 6G ipod firmware. Thats the main thing thats stopping the Rockbox team, they don't even know where and how the firmware is stored and accessed.

If you really want crossfeed now, like elliot42 says, just suck it up and get an amp with one (Corda 3Move and a few others I believe). Its going to be a long wait, if ever, for Rockbox on the 6G.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmerlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple encrypted a huge chunk of the 6G ipod firmware. Thats the main thing thats stopping the Rockbox team, they don't even know where and how the firmware is stored and accessed.

If you really want crossfeed now, like elliot42 says, just suck it up and get an amp with one (Corda 3Move and a few others I believe). Its going to be a long wait, if ever, for Rockbox on the 6G.

Bummer. I feared that the firmware was the culprit since the 6G has been out for so long without Rockbox support. I'm kind of torn about my 6G. The EQ is great and the sound is very good IMO, but I hate the interface. The thing that bugs me about the new Zune is the lack of EQ, I don't know what Microsoft was thinking there. I almost wish I had purchased a 5.5G iPod, but I missed the boat on that.

I guess I'm steering off course a bit, but what do people think of the Practical Devices XM4? It is the cheapest crossfeed-capable amp that I can find.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 7
You could still get a 5.5 second hand. You might have some luck in the for sale / trade forum. Or there's eBay, plenty of refurbs there. Lots of 30gb, but there might be an 80 now or then. Apple sells refurbs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back