Rockbox for 5.5G 30Gb Ipods Now Available!
Dec 21, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 22
Febs: downloaded the Adobe instruction manual and it states that this is still not a totally stable platform for the 5g Ipod; in other words, we still have to load the "daily" update - type platform. So the question: would love to try this, BUT is it gonna really mess up my 5g Ipod? Not too computer smart, so didin't know before doing the installation how really stable Rockbox is for 5g Ipods.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 22
Awesome, now they just need to get it ported for the Nano 2G's and I'll be set
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it work on a mac?

yes it works on a mac although it is a wee bit harder to do the rockbox stuff on a mac than it is on a windows machine. Thats my only gripe. It's the only thing i've found easier to do on a windows machine than on a mac!

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Febs: downloaded the Adobe instruction manual and it states that this is still not a totally stable platform for the 5g Ipod;

Glad to see you're reading the manual! I happen to have written that particular section.

Quote:

So the question: would love to try this, BUT is it gonna really mess up my 5g Ipod? Not too computer smart, so didin't know before doing the installation how really stable Rockbox is for 5g Ipods.

It's quite stable these days on my 5g. Occasionally, someone will introduce a new feature which will create bugs for a few days, but those are usually corrected pretty quickly. If you find a build that you like and is stable, save that build on your computer so that you can return to it if you try a newer build and find it buggy.

As far as "will it mess up my ipod"? No. You can always restore your iPod to its original condition using the restore/updater that is part of iTunes. And with the newest Rockbox bootloader released a couple of days ago, you can boot to the iPod firmware by engaging the hold switch as you turn the ipod on, so you can always use the iPod firmware even if Rockbox is installed.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 22
so how exactly do I dual boot? I just installed the latest firmware on my 4g...do i just engage the "hold" button when rockbox is loading or is there more to it than that??

thanks

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how exactly do I dual boot? I just installed the latest firmware on my 4g...do i just engage the "hold" button when rockbox is loading or is there more to it than that??

thanks

There is a very good iPod FAQ at the RockBox site. Here is the section on booting to Apple firmware.

(As the iPod is rebooting, just hold the Menu button till you see the "Loading original firmware..." message on the screen.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back