Rockbox crossfeed
Mar 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cornman

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed that the crossfeed in rockbox makes the sound very muffled and the bass gets much louder? The midrange especially gets really muddy and muffled sounding it makes it not worth using at all. Does anyone know what causes this?

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 8
I use RB with a 5.5G iPod.Have you adjusted the 4 crossfeed settings?

1.Direct Gain- use a low setting , below -1.0 dB.( I use 0 dB.)

Direct Gain:
How much the level of the audio that travels the direct path from a speaker to the corresponding ear is supposed to be decreased.

2.Cross gain- not as important as direct gain to me, I use -6 dB

Cross Gain:
How much the level of the audio that travels the cross path from a speaker to the opposite ear is to be decreased.

3.HFA- I set this at -6dB, the least destructive to me.

High-Frequency Attenuation:
How much the upper frequencies of the cross path audio will be dampened. Note that the total level of the higher frequencies will be a combination of both this setting and the Cross Gain setting.

4.HFC- I set this at 2000Hz.

High-Frequency Cutoff
Decides at which frequency the cross path audio will start to be cut by the amount described by the High-Frequency Attenuation setting.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 8
I spoke with a friend who is very into the binaural stuff and he recommend the following settings, which I think work pretty well:

Direct Gain: 0
Cross Gain: -6 dB
High Frequency Attenuation: -25 dB
High Frequency Cutoff: 1200 Hz

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke with a friend who is very into the binaural stuff and he recommend the following settings, which I think work pretty well:

On my RockBoxed H20, the Crossfeed For High Frequency Attenuation only goes to -24db.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm guessing he doesn't use crossfeed with binaural recordings...wouldn't that ruin it?

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Correct.

And yeah, -24 dB or whatever the max is...

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 8
I thought the same thing initially Cornman. After a bit of research I *think* I've found the best settings for my headphones. Here's my setup:

Hardware:
iPod 60gb 5G (video)
Skullcandy Smokin' Buds

Sound Settings (only noted setting differing from default)
Bass: -2
Channel Configuration: Custom
Stereo Width: 95%

Crossfeed: On
Direct Gain: 0.0dB
Cross Gain: -5.5dB
High-Frequency Attenuation: -22.5dB
High-Frequency Cutoff: 800Hz

EQ: Native Rock eq setting

I might need to bump the vocal mid-range up a bit in the EQ still but so far that has just depended on the recording...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back