Rockbox Crossfeed - worth it?
Apr 18, 2007 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pentachris

Head-Fier
I'm considering installing Rockbox on my Nano for the crossfeed feature. I listen to a fair amount of classic rock and some of it is very difficult to listen to due to the hard pan stereo techniques used at the time ("Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" is a perfect example of an almost unlistenable song on headphones).

I rather like the iPod interface. I guess mainly because I'm used to it. I'm not so concerned about the battery hit that Rockbox would introduce, but I am concerned about the extra complication that added feature sets invariably introduce. I'm also not really keen on having to switch settings on a per song basis.

Does the Rockbox crossfeed feature really help songs with hard panning without making them sound monaural or unnatural? And if so, how much would keeping the same settings used for that purpose affect my other music (mostly rock, a fair amount of electronica, a smidgen of jazz and other stuff) so I don't have to dive into menus to change settings between songs?

I mostly listen with ety er6i's, but also occasionally with KSC75's.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 5
for starters, you should try it out. Not everyone loves crossfeed. If it sounds good to you, just leave it on. If it doesnt, just turn it off
smily_headphones1.gif
Simple as that.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 5
I tried Rockbox on my iPod 4G. The crossfeed was fantastic, especially with the er6i but also with the KSC-75. The problem is that it's a HUGE battery drain, so in the end it wasn't worth it for me.

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the advice. I guess I should just give it a go. I thought the installation process would be more involved, but I read through the documentation and it doesn't look that time consuming or difficult. I can always uninstall if it doesn't suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back