Rockbox and iPod software
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Azazel90x

100+ Head-Fier
If i rockbox my ipod 5.5g, will i still be able to use itunes and sharepod as if it had regular ipod software? Will it still show up in Itunes as "Azazel's Ipod" and sync just fine?

Thanks, Azazel

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 17
The ipod will continue to work as before with itunes. The itunes database will only work when you're using the Apple firmware; rockbox uses either its own database (compiled on the ipod itself) or the file tree structure, depending on the settings you choose.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 17
You will!
The original Apple firmware and its database will still stay on the iPod.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will!
The original Apple firmware and its database will still stay on the iPod.

So, even tho i flash rockbox, the original firmware and database stays on the ipod so i can just do what i usually did, use itunes to sync and so on? Cool, thanks for the help everyone
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 17
When you want to switch from Rockbox to Apple firmware, reset Ipod (Press menu and select together) then while the Apple is on screen press and hold menu.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 17
Oh, sweet, so its basically a dual boot ipod huh, thanks! i will definitely use that
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 17
...and if you don't like it you can easily revert.
So definitely give it a go, then make up your own mind.
smile.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so besides the eq and skins options is what is the advantages of Rockbox?

Like:
* Support for more audio codecs/formats.
* Open-source, in case you want to add your own features.
* Highly customizable.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Why isnt there any way to play Videos? Is it just because rockbox is mainly focused on audio?

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 17
Rockbox video on the 5.5 Gen is not very efficient - 19fps max in 16:9, and not even 15fps in 4:3. So, I wouldn't consider using RB for video.

imo, the best reasons to add RB on the 5.5 gen are:

- unshackling it from the iTunes DB. Drag and drop.
- Themes galore!
- Fantastic equalizer.
- last.fm logging, RepayGain support
- Additional audio codec support - FLAC, OGG Vorbis, WMA etc.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 17
gapless playback
parametric eq, (the best eq implementation i've seen to date on a DAP by far)
evrything is customizable. and if you add a nonstandard battery you can choose how the ipdo interacts with it. ie. you choose the mah setting. playlists are able to be shared with friends using other types of dap if they are running rockbox.
works the same on all supported DAPs (performance aside)
xxxx
xxxx
xxx
xxxx

you get the picture there's heaps that you can do in rockbox that you cant do in the ipod firmware; plus you dont need to get rid of the standard firmware; just plug the ipod in and it resets into itunes firmware automatically; as well as the drag and drop lof course. but then ipiod has drag and drop by default in the mac as long as you have it set up to enable disk use.

give it a go you'll love it. some would call me an apple fanatic and perhaps they could be right, but rockbox (although not as slick looking) add many features for the experienced listener that the standard firmware cant hope to compete with. plus since version 3 the battery life issues are largely non-existent at least for me they are. with mine running a CF MOD and DIYMOD and a larger 580ma/h battery I get massive battery life even with lossless

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azazel90x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why isnt there any way to play Videos? Is it just because rockbox is mainly focused on audio?

Seems like you missed out of something.
Cause afaik Rockbox have video playback capabilities...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back