Rockbox and crossfeed
Jan 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel compelled to chime in here...

A crossfeed circuit in an amp I suspect is pretty much guaranteed to perform better. I have no first-hand experience with this, but it seems logical to me. Plus, I wasn't overly thrilled with the Rockbox crossfeed function in some (perhaps isolated) instances. I was playing a FLAC file from Strapping Young Lad - The New Black that caused some ugly bass distortion. Once I turned off the crossfeed, there were no problems. It's a neat feature, but I consider it to be an unnecessary gimmick.

And what EQ problems do you have with the iPod?

-Packgrog

The bass distortion you are running into would most likely be solved by dropping your precut down a tad. I experienced a similar issue with VAST - Turquoise and once I dropped it down, it was fine again.

I'll have to try cooperpwc's settings when I get home. I'm seriously digging this crossfeed feature though, it's just bloody awesome.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass distortion you are running into would most likely be solved by dropping your precut down a tad. I experienced a similar issue with VAST - Turquoise and once I dropped it down, it was fine again.

Good point. I am also using a 10dB precut in the software EQ, a trick that I learned about on here.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 33
Yea, the rockbox EQ is pretty hardcore. It's lightyears ahead of the 4G's Ipod firmware. I can now listen to my melodic death metal without it sounding thin and unappealing.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #21 of 33
Crossfeed works very well with an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

It works very well in general, provided you set it up right. Default seems to work fine for me.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The control of hardware EQ in Rockbox for the iPod solves the EQ distortion problem for increasing bass at lower frequencies. (I agree that iPod OS EQ control is unlistenable). The software EQ is also meant to be good for controling a broader range of frequencies and you can create your own settings. I don't use it because I only want a mild boost in gain below 105HZ where Rockbox direct control of the iPod's Wolfson DAC is wonderful.

Hi guys sorry to resurrect a really old thread, i'm a new user to rockbox and have been trying to configure my sound settings. I am using build 3.4 as its all that works on my 240gb ipod, I have been reading in a few threads here on head-fi that you can use a hardware eq but I can't seem to find that setting? Is this because i'm using a newer build of firmware than when all these posts were made and now they have changed the layout of the eq settings?
How do I distinguish between the rockbox software eq and hardware eq? and how do I enable the latter?

Thanks
Steph

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 33
I would also like some answers regarding thing, please?

PS Rockbox has made my world a much happier place.
darthsmile.gif

PSS CROSSFEED!! TOTAL BONUS!!

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #24 of 33
I own 2 RockBoxed iPods, and the SQ difference is quite noticeable. All I use is a boost in the bass for certain headphones/iems - that's all you really need. The EQ is qiute good, but I find that I actually dont need it - and I'm 1 of those "Pro-EQ" guys.

Really, a RB'd iPod is the way to go!!!!

And as for battery life, I get better than 15hrs on my 5.5G 80gb, & 20 something hrs on my 32gb cf modded iPod Mini - both (as I've stated) RockBoxed.

Oh, and the distortion you might hear in some tracks is called "clipping".

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own 2 RockBoxed iPods, and the SQ difference is quite noticeable. All I use is a boost in the bass for certain headphones/iems - that's all you really need. The EQ is qiute good, but I find that I actually dont need it - and I'm 1 of those "Pro-EQ" guys.

Really, a RB'd iPod is the way to go!!!!

And as for battery life, I get better than 15hrs on my 5.5G 80gb, & 20 something hrs on my 32gb cf modded iPod Mini - both (as I've stated) RockBoxed.

Oh, and the distortion you might hear in some tracks is called "clipping".

So your saying just using the bass and treble settings in the main menu for sound settings is hardware based and using the equalizer setting is software based?

With regards to the clipping I found the following thread on the rockbox site which may be of some interest, there appears to be one of two ways round it. either eq the lower frequency to compensate for the clipping or replace the orange coloured internal caps in the headphone signal path. I plan to do this at the same time I carry out the regular DIYmod.

The iPod Poor Bass Response

What do you have as your bass and treble cut off values (1-4)?

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your saying just using the bass and treble settings in the main menu for sound settings is hardware based and using the equalizer setting is software based?

With regards to the clipping I found the following thread on the rockbox site which may be of some interest, there appears to be one of two ways round it. either eq the lower frequency to compensate for the clipping or replace the orange coloured internal caps in the headphone signal path. I plan to do this at the same time I carry out the regular DIYmod.

The iPod Poor Bass Response

What do you have as your bass and treble cut off values (1-4)?

Nope, never said that. I simply said that I use the Bass boosting for my listening, so your reading between the lines and coming to your own conclusions. All I use is that, since the SQ WITHOUT using the EQ is quite good - clear now?

As for the clipping, which means that your files are causing the issue, I use LAME V~0 and a program called mp3Gain. Solves the problem for me, and a few others as well.

And the stock firmware on an iPod is so bad w/it's EQ it causes distortion and CLIPPING when engaged. That's just 1 reason why so many of us use RockBox, just 1.

Now I'll ask a question: Read my post,..........where did you get all these ideas that "I'd said" certain things? 'cause there's nothing from my post that would lead you to these assumptions.

Now, this is from my bro FLACvest:

Quote:

HERE is my ROCKbox setup. I like it loud, I like it wide, I like it dynamic n 3D. its killz. Play around, adjust to your taste. Its an endpoint for me, maybe a pistolshot to begin the race for you? Have Fun / Ask Questions.

--------------------------------

a ROCKbox EQ adapted from the Head-Fi.org user HiFlight's settings as reposted on Xin's Cool Talk forum.

Modified after much twiddlesomesuchnessessnes by YOURS TRULY with much experiental toying with a range of COWON, iRiver, and other DAPs... and now the s:flo2, and re-fixed on the sansa Fuze.

here goes:

Channel Configuration:
Custom

Stereo Width:
250%

Crossfeed:
Crossfeed: Yes
Direct Gain: -3.5dB
Cross Gain: -6.5dB
High Frequency Attenuation: -16.5dB
High Frequency Cutoff: 700Hz

Graphical EQ:

LS: 9.0 dB / 20Hz / 6.0 Q
PK1: -3.0dB /600Hz / 4.0 Q
PK2: 7.0dB / 4000Hz / 3.0 Q
PK3: -2.0dB / 8500Hz / 2.0 Q
HS: 4.0dB / 16000Hz / 5.0 Q

Dithering: Yes

ENJOY. this is an AWESOME SOUNDING setup. I enjoy it muchly on the ROCKboxed sansa Fuze v.01 hardware.

------------------------------------

as extracted from my post on iAUDIOphile.net's forums....

See if his suggestions help w/your RockBox settings. Me, just bass - or I go NAKED!!!!

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, never said that. I simply said that I use the Bass boosting for my listening, so your reading between the lines and coming to your own conclusions. All I use is that, since the SQ WITHOUT using the EQ is quite good - clear now?

As for the clipping, which means that your files are causing the issue, I use LAME V~0 and a program called mp3Gain. Solves the problem for me, and a few others as well.

And the stock firmware on an iPod is so bad w/it's EQ it causes distortion and CLIPPING when engaged. That's just 1 reason why so many of us use RockBox, just 1.

Now I'll ask a question: Read my post,..........where did you get all these ideas that "I'd said" certain things? 'cause there's nothing from my post that would lead you to these assumptions.

Now, this is from my bro FLACvest:

See if his suggestions help w/your RockBox settings. Me, just bass - or I go NAKED!!!!

Hi, i'm sorry but I never meant to upset you,

I just assumed your response was answering my initial question about the hardware eq. Thanks for those eq settings, i'm still unsure if they are software or hardware based. Nevertheless, I tried them and much prefer the sound with just a slight bass increase like you suggested.

Maybe someone else can answer my original question with regards to the hardware eq which has been mentioned in some of these head-fi forums.

Thanks
Steph

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 33
Yep, still interested in the hardware Q as well. Also I agree that rockboxed ipods sound better, at least to me, than even non-eq'ed ipods. I have 3 of them. I've always wondered how that could be...

So where is the hardware EQ vs the Software EQ in rockbox, then, anyone??

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, still interested in the hardware Q as well. Also I agree that rockboxed ipods sound better, at least to me, than even non-eq'ed ipods. I have 3 of them. I've always wondered how that could be...

So where is the hardware EQ vs the Software EQ in rockbox, then, anyone??

No one knows?

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
I don't agree at all that a crossfeed circuit hardwired in an amp will necessarily be better than that in Rockbox. No logical reason why that must be true although I won't deny the possibility that some amps might in fact have a better crossfeed.

The crossfeed in Rockbox is excellent and one of the main reasons that I can't go back to the iPod OS. The fact that you can configure it with great precision is one of the best features. Here are my settings (which I have posted before):

Rockbox Crossfeed:
direct gain -0.5dB
Cross gain -6.5dB
High frequency attentuation -6.5dB
High frequency cutoff 700 HZ

By comparison with the default settings, I think you will find that this has much less influence on the frequencies and relative volumes of both the centre and corners of the soundstage while creating a very effective crossfeed effect.

I liked the idea of using the crossfeed, but it sounded really horrible on default settings... After trying this my life isnt the same 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back