Rockbox 3.0
Oct 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
It's out, I just installed it, and I like it a lot thus far. Question: I've had the older versions of Rockbox on my iPod (and H120, and H140, and iRiver H10) for years now. Before installing the new version on all of them, would it be best to "wipe" the old install of Rockbox, or just install over it?

My experience with PCs has been that major OS upgrades are best begun with a "clean machine", and I was wondering if that also applies to DAPs.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 7
I have never had any trouble installing any version of Rockbox, including 3.0, on my Sansa e270 by simply overwriting the existing version.

Having said that, the best place to get a definitive answer to your question is the Rockbox forums.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Its always nice to start all fresh with a major version jump.
But if it works as expected, then I don't see why you need to repeat the installation process.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks. The new Rockbox version is nice looking, but response time is very S L O W. When I fast-forward through separate MP3 files in shuffle mode, it is about a five-count from song to song.

I am wondering if all of the fonts and themes are loaded in the background, gobbling memory. If so, I am guessing that taking them off the player will speed things up. Might have to try that.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 7
on the H10 (i am using it), there really is no major difference between v2 and v3. response time was always slow to start playing, but i dont think i noticed a difference. Fonts and themes should not eat memory, as they are not being used. I tried using the most basic theme etc, and there was no difference.

As for installing, i deleted everything, and then reinstalled v3. i tried to just "upgrade" but i made a mistake somewhere, and it was having some problems. so i just re did it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back