Rockbox 3.0
Sep 27, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 32
Installed and it works as a charm on the iriver h140. Didn't notice any major change as I kept it up to date every couple of weeks. Oh, that and I dislike bmp covers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats different in 3.0? I CBF looking up the wiki....

If I am not mistaken its the first Rockbox release version with iPod support.
Major difference compared to 2.5 I would say...

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #19 of 32
Seems pretty go so far~
I'm using an iPod 5G and I was wondering if there was a way to display album art added from iTunes. I don't want to go back and manually every piece of art~

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats different in 3.0? I CBF looking up the wiki....

It depends if you've been keeping up with the latest builds or not. 3.0 is a big event because it's been polished enough for an official release but it's been happening in small steps so you wont notice much change over recent builds.

I could be wrong since I haven't followed it for a while but that's the impression I got.

Edit: Now the official release is out of the way, I'm wondering what new features they're going to come up with...

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems pretty go so far~
I'm using an iPod 5G and I was wondering if there was a way to display album art added from iTunes. I don't want to go back and manually every piece of art~

If I recall correctly rockbox doesn't support artwork in the id3 tags as you have with itunes. Do a script to put a cover.bmp on each mp3 folder, that would work.

More info on the limitations and on how to do it here:

AlbumArt < Main < TWiki

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 32
Rockbox 3.0 looks nice and all.
But too bad it still don't support the HFS file system (Apple's native file system)!

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 32
Ok i hav installed the rockbox on my 5.5gen ipod but it doesn't impression me so much although it is a new version as state ver3.0 but I feel no different with previous build. But if compare with previous release ver2.5 then cheers for Rockbox team
beerchug.gif
. And I also think that Rockbox need to improve their GUI interface. Rockbox have claim the new 3.0 version have include new feature but can someone tell me wat is the NEW features included?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox 3.0 looks nice and all.
But too bad it still don't support the HFS file system (Apple's native file system)!

Maybe they working on it, give them some time.
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yugiyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i hav installed the rockbox on my 5.5gen ipod but it doesn't impression me so much although it is a new version as state ver3.0 but I feel no different with previous build. But if compare with previous release ver2.5 then cheers for Rockbox team
beerchug.gif
. And I also think that Rockbox need to improve their GUI interface. Rockbox have claim the new 3.0 version have include new feature but can someone tell me wat is the NEW features included?

Look here:

ReleaseNotes30 < Main < TWiki

and here:

MajorChanges < Main < TWiki

Quote:

Maybe they working on it, give them some time.
icon10.gif

Dunno, but what you want for ipod is hfs+ and it sucks. Rather they support ext3 or work on codec optimizations or on GUI that you seem to dislike.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yugiyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox have claim the new 3.0 version have include new feature but can someone tell me wat is the NEW features included?

Unless you're using an old Archos device then *all* of the features are new as this is the first release for non-Archos devices. But, if you've been using the development builds and keeping it updated regularly than virtually nothing is new. Like said above, the MajorChanges wiki page gives a timeline for notable changes.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 32
tried it with a 5G Ipod. The battery life has improved. Still, I don't like how much stress it puts on the hard disk (full boot every time you start plus the hd is definitely working far more than with the original FW) and how fast the batteries drain. Start it like 6 times and you go from 100 to 0 pretty fast. - As soon as they manage to set up some standby mode, I am changing for good.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried it with a 5G Ipod. The battery life has improved. Still, I don't like how much stress it puts on the hard disk (full boot every time you start plus the hd is definitely working far more than with the original FW) and how fast the batteries drain. Start it like 6 times and you go from 100 to 0 pretty fast. - As soon as they manage to set up some standby mode, I am changing for good.

The lacking standby is a pita, I agree. If i turn off and then on half a dozen of times battery drains really quickly, startup is a hog. I sometimes just don't turn it (iriver h140) off when I know it is for a short time.

But besides the startup disk workout I don't see any extra work by the disk, it just keeps quiet unless I do a skip to next track, for instance.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #30 of 32
I've popped it on my ipod Mini and find the battery life slightly odd. In the cradle it reported 18% battery, then after listening to 3 albums, it was up to 66%! Then back down to 0 after another ablbum. Could be rockbox, or then again could be the original battery that needs replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back