Rock Suggestions
Sep 24, 2006 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Taragudrig

New Head-Fier
My favorite artist are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Who, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, etc.
I rarely listen to any artist around for less then 30 years or so, and have been wondering what new music I would find worth listening to?

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Possibly The Mars Volta if you like progressive stuff like Rush or Yes.

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Maybe Sam Roberts? Their influence from the Beatles is very obvious on some tracks, and they are fantastic for rocking out. Their sophmore album (Chemical City) is a little more psychedelic, with its "lost traveller" motif and great lyrics, it sets the mood right.

Jack Johnson is always amazing, but not so much for rocking out. If you want to just lay back and listen to tunes, or sit around a campfire with friends and drink and talk, I have to say, IMO, Jack Johnson is the best background music ever.

Collective Soul is always good as well. IMO, they fill in the post-grunge crap era of the early 90s magnificently. Their clean chords and great lyrics are a welcome refreshment from the Seattle grunge that overtook popular music during and after Nirvana. Check out their latest album with new material (Youth) or their debut album (Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid).

Velvet Revolver is a great band that I think is taking the right steps to bring back the bad-assness of rock, even though they seem to get a bad name sometimes (it helps that I think that Slash is a god). They are very much the sum of their parts, GN'R and STP, though I think that the GN'R-hard rock-in-your-face-attitude is more prevalent in their debut album, Contraband.

Well, those are my suggestions. I'm in your boat though, I listen to mainly more classic rock. It's hard to find adequate parallels in today's music, though it is possible if you look.

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm somewhere in your age group and have somewhat similar musical taste:
Green Day - American Idiot;
Gomez - Liquid Skin;
Creed - Weathered;
Cream - Live Royal Albert Hall;
The Who - Live At The Royal Albert Hall.

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Hmmmm albums since '76. I hear some kid named Dylan put out an few interesting albums recently.
wink.gif

Radiohead, Pavement, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Replacements, etc.

Maybe Black Keys, Yo La Tengo, Wilco, Sleater-Kenney, etc.

And check out the Best of 2006 thread.

No one I trust more than Christgau on advice (too bad he was fired after 30 years last month). Check out Pazz and Jop Dean Lists.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 10
The thing here is that to get a real answer you really need to decide whether you're more looking for recent bands that are influenced by previous eras but don't really go much further with the form, or for bands that are continuing to progress, the same way the bands you mention presumably did in their time. You have to be honest with yourself here, which is not always the easiest thing to do. Many people would say they want the second option, but when they get it not be too happy. There's nothing wrong with just liking certain styles of music and that's that.

Anyway, you've gotten answers that cover both ends of the spectrum so far.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taragudrig
My favorite artist are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Who, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, etc.
I rarely listen to any artist around for less then 30 years or so, and have been wondering what new music I would find worth listening to?

By my calcuations, you have to sample band from the following eras:

Punk (think Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys)
Post-punk/Art-Punk (think Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Cure)
"College Rock" (think REM)
Early Indie (think Husker Du, early Sonic Youth)
80's/90s rock (think U2)
Later Indie (think Pavement, Sebadoh)

...off the top of my head....

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the replies, I have definitely found some good bands, most notably Collective Soul, Sam Robert's Band, Pavement, and R.E.M.

By the way, S M @, as you said, I would prefer to flatter myself and say that I would most enjoy the later; however, I think I would like the first option most with very few exceptions.

Now to listen to some new music
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back