"Rock Out" Cans
Aug 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 28
German Maestro GMP 250....

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I suggest considering the RX700 for ~ $35, mod it, and upgrade your source.

Agreed. just cause they sound good unamped doesn't mean they won't improve. I use a wee bit of EQing with my 700s and 900s, no physical modding needed.
Another to consider is the far superior HA DX3. I've been using these on progressive metal and the DX3 handles it all very very well for the $110 they cost.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 28
I found my Grado SR60s to be underwhelming. Too thin with the bass/mid-bass. I listen to metal, mostly, so some of the lower guitar "crunch" sounds were pretty thin on those headphones. It wasn't terrible by any means, but definitely lacking. They also leaked like crazy and were very harsh, to top it all off.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 28
For my part, I can rock out just fine with my HD600 or HD650. The bass level on the Senns is well-suited for rock music IMO. The HD600 are more detailed within my rig, whereas the HD650 has greater bass quantity.

Bear in mind though, I dislike Grados.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 28
The Grado RS-2's make anything rock or metal sound amazing.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #25 of 28
All I have to go on is my SR225i's and some SennHD555's, but frankly I think the bass on the grados sounds just fine. I like it more than the Senns for sure; I listen to some bass heavy electronica like Daft Punk, and the bass is very clear and defined to these ears. If you want to keep the cost down, I would get some SR-80s and a DAC with USB input like something from hotaudio. Cheap and effective, and it will certainly sound better than the soundcard you have. It is worth noting that this will only do 2-channels, so if you have a 5.1 pc speaker setup that would need to stay plugged into the soundcard.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 28
I am thinking I am going to get a dedicated amp to plug into my sound card and to my headphones. I can also use it for ipod or anything else.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a bass freak you may look elsewhere than a Grado. You better go with Denon or even Ultrasone. But these won't give you the PRaT and that and electric guitar crunch that only a Grado provide.

+1

Personally, I am a lot happier with my Ultrasones with a lot of my music than I am with the MS1 : that said, the latter are much better for long listening sessions. High impact bass is great for an hour or so, but you can really overdo it, IMO. The MS1s have better balance.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would something like a HD485 (which I have used for 3 years) compare to a HD650 in this field? I know the 650 is far superior, but for "rock out" is this still the case?

You cant rock out on a 600 or 650 lol. They are not designed for such things. I use the senn485 for rocking out. I love them to death. I wish the highs were more detailed but hey, the cans are like 80 bucks, insanely light and VERY comfy.

Sennheiser hd485 - rocking out, nice bass not too overpowered, great for portable devices, not as loud as id like them to be, but they pass with a solid A-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back