Rock/Metal Headphones?
Oct 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Shis

New Head-Fier
Can anyone help me out on finding a new pair of headphones? The pair I use left side died on me last week :frowning2:
I mainly listen to Rock/Metal/Rap but I don't care for too much bass. I'm going to be listening mainly from my laptop and iPod, and I want something durable to withstand everyday school use and doesn't leak TOO much. Blocking out outside sound would be pretty nice too. I've been looking at the Senn HD448 but don't know too much about them in terms of rock music, and my price range is only up to around $80 (not much, I know :/)

Anyways, if anyone can help me than that would be great !

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 22
Good news and bad news..

Grado SR60i for $79 is the best thing that will ever happen to you for rock and metal.

Bad news is that they leak because they are open.

At that price range you have a choice ~ cut back on sonic quality for the sake
of a closed model with perhaps more modern looks

or

Take a chance on an open model and rock out like you never have before.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Don't think a Grado would be a good choice for school though!  I absolutely hated it when people had earbuds and turned the music up too loud...I would imagine it would be an order of magnitude worse with the Grado even if you don't turn it up ridiculously high.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 22
How bad do they leak? Because I used my Sony MDR-V700dj's and it wasn't too bad. I just don't like it when I'm in a car and other people can hear my music clearly while my iPod is only half way up. If they can hear it a bit, but can't really make out the sound, it's fine. 
And any thoughts on the HD448's?
I think they look MUCH better than the SR60i's. Honestly, looks wouldn't matter at all if the sound quality to these are actually mind blowing. But from what I see, I really don't like the overall look :p
And it seems like it's on-ear, while I prefer more around the ear.
But again, if the sound is really the awesome, then I won't mind buying them.

Are they durable enough for everyday school use?

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
How bad do they leak? Because I used my Sony MDR-V700dj's and it wasn't too bad. I just don't like it when I'm in a car and other people can hear my music clearly while my iPod is only half way up. If they can hear it a bit, but can't really make out the sound, it's fine. 
I think they look MUCH better than the SR60i's. Honestly, looks wouldn't matter at all if the sound quality to these are actually mind blowing. But from what I see, I really don't like the overall look :p

My SR80i's get 2 hours of use on the go every day.

Only thing that will suffer a bit superficially is that the paint on the main button
can wear off over time from resting on surfaces. That's it.

They're tough, the cable can get twisted but that's hardly an issue
when you consider their sound.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 22
If you're concerned about leaking, buy the Shure that you can afford, I think it's the closest closed can in sound signature....

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Don't think a Grado would be a good choice for school though!  I absolutely hated it when people had earbuds and turned the music up too loud...I would imagine it would be an order of magnitude worse with the Grado even if you don't turn it up ridiculously high.

Consider Grado a pay back for all the suffering the ibud users have put us through.  I'm not too sure, but the Koss DJ headphones have gotten some good reviews, but I'm not to sure how good they are with your musical tastes. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:

They will be basically little portable speakers that broadcast your music everywhere you go regardless of how low you play the music.  They're really only good for listening at home when nobody else is in the room with you, or if they just don't care...but at school I definitely would not recommend any open headphone.

Maybe you should check out the Creative Aurvana Live...they look like they're going for $60 on Amazon right now and they're apparently great as a portable headphone.  But I've never heard them, so I recommend looking up reviews first.

Seeing as how you said you'd be using them at school, you'd probably want something portable and easy to drive.  I'd strongly recommend reading through this thread for advice regarding that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-94-portable-headphones-reviewed-audio-technica-ath-es10-added-10-8-11

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 22
Try the shure srh440. You can easily find them for that price with a bit of searching.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 22
I would get Sony MDR-V6 they are by far better than Grado if you want an all around, on the go headphone. You can also apply some mods tho them and they get even better (the cable is also a little long but not really). They've replaced my grados for everyday listening.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 22
I'm getting a lot of mixed comments here =S
So now it's either between the HD448 (which there were no comments on), Grado SR80i (which I'm leaning against), and the Shure SRH 440. Any comments on the Shure's and Senn's?

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I'm getting a lot of mixed comments here =S
So now it's either between the HD448 (which there were no comments on), Grado SR80i (which I'm leaning against), and the Shure SRH 440. Any comments on the Shure's and Senn's?

Heya,

Get the Shure SRH440 out of that suggested bunch....

Or, get the Panasonic RP-HFT600 with Velour Pads.

Review in my sig. You will be like "O.O" and the cost does not represent it's quality at all.

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 22
Shure 440 is a nice headphone and the best all rounder in terms of offering
decent passive isolation, and decent suitability for a range of different
genres.

Still, when it comes to rock and metal, if you happen to run into a Grado
after your purchase and you manage to score a listen - this will most likely be
your reaction 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 22
I think I'm gonna get the Shure's then. How do they go in terms of durability? Because the only reason I'm getting new headphones is because the right side stopped working, and I don't want that to happen again :/

And the only thing keeping me from getting the Grado's are that they're on ear..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back