Rock Jaw Resonate impression thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #46 of 102
I agree with you. Wouldn't call these clinical or cold, although they do have good treble energy and detail.
Additionally, I wouldn't call these reference as they have a U shape that can give a slight recession of the mids and vocals can sometimes sound slightly further back than is perfect to me.

Another thing that I don't agree with is in the forbes review they talk about the Resonate showing the limitations of the source.
I'm enjoying using the Resonate streaming from spotify on my phone. I find them pretty easy to drive and sound good, whereas some of my more expensive iems highlight the weeknesses of both.

A couple of weeks in and I'm still struggling a bit to organise my thoughts on these as don't have enough iems at the same price range as direct comparisons.

My Aurisonics Harmony beat these in all respects, but cost 3 times the price. The main thing that stands out is they have better texture and more natural tone, this is most evident to me on vocals.
The sennheiser ie80 also has in my opinion a technically better dynamic driver, but at twice the price, however also has a very flavoured signature that some will like and others will hate.
Another thing that stands out to me against these two is the Resonate loses composure a bit more than these two when tracks get congested/complex.

So to me the Resonate definitely isn't a flagship killer, but how good it is compared to other iems at the same price range I can't say.

I haven't really listened much compared to my Etymotic ER4 or Hifiman Re00, so will feedback more thoughts when I get a chance.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #47 of 102
Yes Resonate is easy to drive. 

And I agree that, it's a difficulty to explain feelings and impressions if not having more similar IEMs to compare.

I don't have more expensive IEMs therefore I can not compare vs 2x or more pricey ones, but I am not surprised if you like more those over Resonate. This is why they are so much pricey :)

I am in doubt if Price/Quality products can be called as flagship killers in hi-fi world. For example, we have flagship killer cell phones that are really performing better than lots of pricey models, but I don't think it's same for hi-fi world. 

Last year 1More Triple Driver had a great success by selling lots of units and getting very good reviews, but I can not call it a flagship killer (if we are calling 2x or 3x pricey ones as flagships) it's a very good Price/Quality IEM for sure. Another thing made 1More so successfull and took attention is having "Triple Drivers".

1More Triple is a nice looking IEM, coming with very fancy box, with a decent sound quality and also it has triple drivers, for just 99 USD. That took so much attention surely.

May be Resonate is not shining with it's box or not having a fancy Triple name :) But it has things that earphones need, have decent sound, 3x filters and replacable cable that are not available with most of IEMs.  

If we are praising 1More Triple because of giving us Triple Driver experience for 99 USD, we must praise Resonate for giving us interchangable filters and cable with a very successful sound.  

1More and Resonate, both are very listenable for me. But I prefer Resonate as I have stated at previous post. 

I will be happy to read Resonate vs similar priced other IEMs comparisons surely, if you can or other owners can do. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #48 of 102
Wasn't suggesting the iems I own are flagships, I know they are quite far from it in price (but not so sure how far away in performance).

When reading positive reviews on head-fi I sometimes find it hard to ascertain where a product sits in the overall landscape of iems, it can often come across that a product considerably outperforms it's price. For me the best way to understand is by having as many comparisons to other products as possible. So I'm keen to try and help others understand by giving thoughts on how it compares to what I know so that their expectations are realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Resonate. I like the signature, I like the ability to change the filters, which I think works really well and I think that their performance is good for the price.

This is now my go to iem for using with spotify on my phone. I can now enjoy spotify on my phone, whereas in the past I'd be rushing out to buy CDs to load onto my DAP.

I've also learnt a lot about my other iems by having the Resonate to compare to, which to me is money well spent!

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #49 of 102
Thanks again.   Just received HiFiMan RE 400 ($49 new) and was very underwhelmed.  No bass and didn't really sound better than an old pair of JVC's that cost around $20.  Sending them back.  Amazon has the silver 1More triple driver for $85.  My concern with the Resonates is that I usually get a better fit with angled ear fittings.  The 1More is angled, but it appears (both from reviews and photos) that it is really 1/2 an IEM (i.e., it doesn't really fit into the ear canal).  Guess I'll just have to buy one and try it out.

Love what Rockjaw is trying to do (build high quality iem's at a reasonable price and provide great customer service).

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #50 of 102
  Thanks again.   Just received HiFiMan RE 400 ($49 new) and was very underwhelmed.  No bass and didn't really sound better than an old pair of JVC's that cost around $20.  Sending them back.  Amazon has the silver 1More triple driver for $85.  My concern with the Resonates is that I usually get a better fit with angled ear fittings.  The 1More is angled, but it appears (both from reviews and photos) that it is really 1/2 an IEM (i.e., it doesn't really fit into the ear canal).  Guess I'll just have to buy one and try it out.

Love what Rockjaw is trying to do (build high quality iem's at a reasonable price and provide great customer service).

If you prefer angled design yes Resonate is not such kind. Costco has a better price for 1More Triple if you live in US.

With Resonate I have no issues about fit but I don't know what happens for you. And I think still discount code (40%) for Head-fi is applicable, makes price for Resonate at 93 USD. That is a very good deal for a new successful product. 

As I have already said, you will love both.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #51 of 102
If you prefer angled design yes Resonate is not such kind. Costco has a better price for 1More Triple if you live in US.

With Resonate I have no issues about fit but I don't know what happens for you. And I think still discount code (40%) for Head-fi is applicable, makes price for Resonate at 93 USD. That is a very good deal for a new successful product. 

As I have already said, you will love both.

We tried our best to make them so they are extremely universal and can be worn down and over the ear. We use the phrase "hugs the ear"

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #55 of 102
Works equally well up and down for me.
Tend to wear up when listening to music, mostly out of habit.
But wear down when making calls for better microphone positioning.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #57 of 102
I just received my Resonate's yesterday. They have been burning in since there arrival. I have snuck in a few listens and I must say I am very impressed so far. I tried the white silicone instead of the preinstalled (as a member suggested) but I found I lost all bass by using them. I'm not sure why, could be my ears.
From what I've heard thus far, I'm hearing nice highs and great bottom end, I wish the mids were a little more forward. I can't wait to hear the Resonate's after 40-50 hours of burn in. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard IEM to beat at this price. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #58 of 102
I just received my Resonate's yesterday. They have been burning in since there arrival. I have snuck in a few listens and I must say I am very impressed so far. I tried the white silicone instead of the preinstalled (as a member suggested) but I found I lost all bass by using them. I'm not sure why, could be my ears.
From what I've heard thus far, I'm hearing nice highs and great bottom end, I wish the mids were a little more forward. I can't wait to hear the Resonate's after 40-50 hours of burn in. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard IEM to beat at this price. 

I think I have suggested :) I am using white double flange tips with green bass filter. I did find this setup to get best bass + detail for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back