Rock box
Jun 28, 2007 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
I would like to try out rockbox on my 5,5 g 30gb Ipod..

I know it supports drag'n drop, but I would like to still use Itunes for syncronisation, drag'n drop is a just too cumbersome for me..

Is it possible to still use Itunes ??
What about my smartlist ?? will they still be there ?

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to still use Itunes ??

Yes. You need to use the Rockbox "Database" view rather than the "File" view to see them.

Quote:

What about my smartlist ?? will they still be there ?

They will still be there, but Rockbox will not recognize them. As far as I know, iTunes uses some proprietary playlist format rather than simply supporting the standard .m3u format. Perhaps someone will at some point write a converter but that functionality does not presently exist in Rockbox.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

I know it supports drag'n drop, but I would like to still use Itunes for syncronisation, drag'n drop is a just too cumbersome for me..

I found that syncing your files is the most difficult
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 16
I would like to add to this thread (rather than make a new one)

I first installed rockbox on my 60gig video ipod in october of 2006, and used one of the custom patches (which supposedly made things run smoother). I encountered alot of problems, bugs and skipping.

Fast forward to June of 2007, I decided to head back over to rockbox.org and install the newest builds + patches.

Everything is running super smooth for me now. They have made alot of progress in the last year. I have no problems at all with rockbox now, the only negative thing I can think of is that battery life is still quite short compared to the apple firmware.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Syncing is just to plug it in, then it takes care of everything for you...

It could not be easier

How does it recognize what music I want on the player, and what format and quality I want it in? How does it recognize what I want removed to make space for that? IMO, iTunes and syncing makes things more difficult. Good for calendars and contacts, bad for groups of static files.

P.S. If you like iTunes and the standard Ipod interface really well, you're probably not going to like Rockbox.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Why people never mention that Rockbox completely removes background hiss noise, it is very noticeable while music is off, for me it's huge +, I've done multiple tests using 80 GB and e500 booting between rockbox and original apple FW. Needles to say, being able to play DMR free music on your ipod adds value f/some as well.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 16
Many/most of us probably don't know that. BTW, you can play DRM-free music on your iPod all day long with the default firmware.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 16
Yes it does, Just drag your files to your rockboxed player and enjoy

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiss is still quite present on iAudio X5 and no doubt on archos models. Please don't make sweeping generalizations based on one model's reaction.

I own X5l 30 gb as well, and never noticed any difference in hiss department, switching beetwen original FW and rockbox. X5l could be double-booted btw.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does rockbox really support "drag and drop"???
plllllllllsssssssss answer im reaally interested
ihave the 4g 20gb though

Yes it does support copy and paste. 1 little hint though if you dragging and dropping your files, while in rockbox usb interface, amount of time it takes to transfer is at least twice as long if you do same while ipod connected thru apple FW. I've done little test:
791 mb file transferred in 1min and 11 sec thru apple FW, and same file took
2min and 52 sec while player connected thru rockbox.

I just want to add, that this test was done using 5.5g 80gb ipod, not necessarily results will be same w/ 4g ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back