Rock and games over ear headphones for $300
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

turururu

New Head-Fier
Hello

I am headphones newbie. I am looking for a over ear headphones for around $300-$400.

I listen to british rock/alt music (Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Pink Floyd)
I also play games :wink: Battlefield 4 and other fps games.

Ive got 3 options:
Sennheiser Momentum
AKG K550
Beyerdynamic Custom Pro

Anything else is worth buying? Not too bassy please.

What can you recommend? 

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to headfi..
Check out this thread (as a start)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 15
I find the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros to be overrated, personally. Amongst those three, I would suggest the Momentums. Have you considered open headphones, or do you need isolation? Do you plan to use these for a commute? If open headphones are your thing, I'm thrusting the Philips Fidelio X1s onto you.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 15
  Welcome to headfi..
Check out this thread (as a start)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Thanks. Great link.
  I find the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros to be overrated, personally. Amongst those three, I would suggest the Momentums. Have you considered open headphones, or do you need isolation? Do you plan to use these for a commute? If open headphones are your thing, I'm thrusting the Philips Fidelio X1s onto you.

I dont need isolation. 
Philips Fidelio X1 is for bass lovers? I dont like bass. Clear sound is what I like.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 15
It has punchy bass for an open headphone, but honestly, the bass on it is overhyped. It's not as present as people think.

I have not heard them (I went with the HE-400 instead), but Tyll's measurements (and review) confirm what people are generally saying about the X1s: that they are a bass oriented headphone. The OP has said "I dont like bass." Why would you push these on him when there are other choices? For example, for an semi-open headphone, the DT880 would seem to fit more what he's describing.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 15
I have not heard them (I went with the HE-400 instead), but Tyll's measurements (and review) confirm what people are generally saying about the X1s: that they are a bass oriented headphone. The OP has said "I dont like bass." Why would you push these on him when there are other choices? For example, for an semi-open headphone, the DT880 would seem to fit more what he's describing.

I think you interpreted "thrusting" beyond its intended extremity. I'm fairly certain that I know better than someone else what I think about a headphone. I'd prefer to suggest headphones I've actually listened to before I start defaulting to Beyerdynamic. My experience has led me to believe that either the bassy presence is either heavily exaggerated (not that it isn't there, it's still satisfying), or that every single person who listened to the Fidelio X1s was coming from Grados. You're welcome not to feel that way, provided you actually listen to them before making such presumptions. I didn't listen to DT 880s, so I'm not going to tell everyone what I think about their sound.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 15
I think you interpreted "thrusting" beyond its intended extremity. I'm fairly certain that I know better than someone else what I think about a headphone. I'd prefer to suggest headphones I've actually listened to before I start defaulting to Beyerdynamic. My experience has led me to believe that either the bassy presence is either heavily exaggerated (not that it isn't there, it's still satisfying), or that every single person who listened to the Fidelio X1s was coming from Grados. You're welcome not to feel that way, provided you actually listen to them before making such presumptions. I didn't listen to DT 880s, so I'm not going to tell everyone what I think about their sound.

I made no presumptions about what you think, and I was not interpreting "thrusting." I was objecting to your discounting the bass orientation reputation of those headphones--which is well known--AFTER the OP clearly said in response to your first recommendation of the X1, and I'll repeat, "I don't like bass." And I don't have to listen to them to take Tyll's and everyone else's word over yours.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 15
I made no presumptions about what you think, and I was not interpreting "thrusting." I was objecting to your discounting the bass orientation reputation of those headphones--which is well known--AFTER the OP clearly said in response to your first recommendation of the X1, and I'll repeat, "I don't like bass." And I don't have to listen to them to take Tyll's and everyone else's word over yours.

How silly of me not to use my clairvoyance to determine he would say such a thing. He said "nothing too bassy" in the OP, but he did not rule out recommendations that people felt were bassy. I did not even continue to try and push them onto him except by attempting to assure him that they aren't as bass-heavy as comments on them might suggest. The idea of recommendations is that you're supposed to have a personal opinion to give, regardless of what others think, and I did just that. I feel it met the requirements he outlined in the OP, but his response - which, I must emphasize, came after my suggestion - suggested otherwise.

You're making a misunderstanding about my prior intentions. I'd appreciate if we could stop this discussion because we're here for the same purpose: to help the person in need of advice. If I wanted to log onto a message board solely for the sake of disagreeing with people, I'd go to Reddit. If I feel that my suggestion is fit for him and he doesn't accept it, then okay, no harm done.

Also, as I close, I'd like to say that although I understand your rationale for placing Tyll's opinions over everyone else's, it's a very myopic perspective, particularly for someone who hasn't actually tried out the product. It would be like suggesting a game you've never played to someone in a world where YouTube didn't exist. I'm guilty of the same thing, but I don't go out of my way to disagree with people who actually have tried out the product.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 15
[quote name="Dragonzeanse" url="/t/715497/rock-and-games-over-ear-headphones-for-300#post_10479649"Also, as I close, I'd like to say that although I understand your rationale for placing Tyll's opinions over everyone else's . . . [/quote]

I didn't place Tyll's opinion over everyone else's. I place Tyll's opinion, the measurements he took, and ALL the other head-fiers who have described those headphones as bassy over YOUR opinion. Get over it. :rolleyes:

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 15
[quote name="Dragonzeanse" url="/t/715497/rock-and-games-over-ear-headphones-for-300#post_10479649"Also, as I close, I'd like to say that although I understand your rationale for placing Tyll's opinions over everyone else's . . .

I didn't place Tyll's opinion over everyone else's. I place Tyll's opinion, the measurements he took, and ALL the other head-fiers who have described those headphones as bassy over YOUR opinion. Get over it.
rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

"Get over it."

I don't understand why you're getting so worked up about someone's opinion over the internet.

Sorry, OP, some "audiophiles" happen to practice solipsism without realizing the irony. I listen to British rock, myself, and in spite of the bassy signature present in the Fidelio X1s, I find them quite enjoyable. That said, they might not be for you. I can recommend AKG Q701s (or possibly K702s). They're very detailed-sounding but you're going to want an amp to drive them. Also, if you're still considering those closed headphones you mentioned, I don't recommend the Momentums because of their bassy signature. It's not the most emphasized bass I've heard, but if Fidelio X1s are off-limits, I'd say scratch that off the short-list, too. I asked a friend about this thread, and he suggests the Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs. I'm not sure about that since it's been said that they have, ahem, "punchy bass." He says it wasn't enough to him, but I think that's because he wasn't really used to open headphones.

Like cel4145 said (assuming he's, ahem, listened to them), the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros could fit your criteria, too. You'll want an amp for them, though.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 15
If a closed headphone is a requirement then the Sony MDR-7520 can be had near the 300-400 range is a very good closed headphone for the price. It is easily driven and can be used portable with a shorter cable.

Soundmagic HP100
Audio Technica A900X
NAD HP50

Are also worth a check out, just read up on them.

Mad Lust Envy's thread would be a wise choice to look and ask in, just do not private message him as he won't answer.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 15
If a closed headphone is a requirement then the Sony MDR-7520 can be had near the 300-400 range is a very good closed headphone for the price. It is easily driven and can be used portable with a shorter cable.

Soundmagic HP100
Audio Technica A900X
NAD HP50

Are also worth a check out, just read up on them.

Mad Lust Envy's thread would be a wise choice to look and ask in, just do not private message him as he won't answer.

I don't know why I forgot to mention the A900X. To me, they have just a tiny bit of bass emphasis, but would be worthwhile considering for anyone who is looking for a headphone closer to neutral. They are definitely worth considering :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back