Roccat Kave 5.1, anyone here have experience with it?
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AMRAAMMissiles

New Head-Fier
 Sorry for creating a thread and ask such a stupid question but honestly i need help on choosing this headset or not.
 I currently have the Turtle Beach Z6A (MW3 Charlie) and it has been great until today when the same problem with the mic drive me crazy.
The mic doesn't respond well and create much static noise when you move the cable around (from the AMP to the headset), this problem is very common with this series (i have had totally 5 RMAs for this headset with Turtle Beach for the same problem). So now, i decide to say good bye to this one because i am out of warranty for it and it is time for a new headset.
 Searching around, i found that Roccat makes a decent surround headset (biggest selling point, i am a hardcore FPS PC gamer) "Kave". I have been reading reviews and most of them are mixed with "not good for Music listening" or just "Terrible with both Music and Movies". The thing is, i understand that gaming headsets are not designed for music listening and i do take that in considering when i bought the Z6A (which is true 5.1) and i don't know what is the measurement of "being terrible or bad" for those guys who reviewed the Kave (people have different ears and music of choice)
 Myself, i do listening to music a lot but i am not Audio Professional or something like that to have a desire of having a Studio-quality Stereo Headset (you probably know what i mean). The Z6A turn out to be great (for me) to listen to music despite of being called "a gaming headset". I mean if i have to grade it in the scale of 10, i would give it an 8.5/10 for the Z6A (clear voice + warm bass is all i need, i don't need bass to be overwhelmed).
 About the Roccat, i want to ask about the Music listening experience of people if you guys have one here, how do you guys grade it ? And if you can compare it with the Z6A that would be great. I don't doubt the ability of the Kave in gaming , but Music is something to consider because i don't want to have a headset which is "flat-out" when listening to music. I have an external sound card so you guys don't have to worry about me having the same experience on both Headset because of using internal sound card.
Thanks!

PS: I do understand that i am a new member, so i might miss something out in this forum, if you know some thread with the same question or something like that, please let me know
L3000.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 13
My experience with the Kaves was terrible. There was only a slight improvement in directionality in gaming, and most of the music and sound effects sounded very tinny in 5.1 mode so I ended up just using them as stereo headphones.

I'm not much of an audiophile so I can't really describe their sound signature very accurately, but to me they sounded extremely bright with huge emphasis on the treble and almost no bass. The vibration driver doesn't really add much to the listening experience in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Kave to anyone unless you're only going to be using them for gaming, and even then there are probably better options out there that perform well in both gaming and music.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I just bought these... and a Creative sound card

Best investment i've done... i used to have a Triton 5.1 SS headset, they were good... but weren't as great as the Roccat Kave

Of course... any headset will sound crappy without some minor tweaks from some software or your motherboards settings

These headphones do have bass... when you tweak the settings of your internal or external sound card

Personally i love this headset, i always looked for bass when it comes to headsets... and these have satisfied my bass needs.

-Monkey805

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I just bought these... and a Creative sound card

Best investment i've done... i used to have a Triton 5.1 SS headset, they were good... but weren't as great as the Roccat Kave

Of course... any headset will sound crappy without some minor tweaks from some software or your motherboards settings

These headphones do have bass... when you tweak the settings of your internal or external sound card

Personally i love this headset, i always looked for bass when it comes to headsets... and these have satisfied my bass needs.

-Monkey805

Can you verify how many driver that this headphone actually have?
 People say it has only 3 per cup, no actual Center Drivers.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I mean, how could they produce the center channel ? from the front driver as well?
 Because the 40mm Drivers on the lower of each cup is the subwoofer,not center.

Possibly. I always thought that the two lower drivers in each cup are the center drivers. Either way there's no huge difference in directionality between the front and center channels other than the fact that it's coming out of both cups.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Let me help you out with my experience, it's pretty simple to turn the bass on MAX. :D

Ok first of all you have to open the cover of your Roccat Kave deskremotecontrol and turn all slides to minimum!
Now use the volume wheel on the RC (or directly on your PC) and turn your Windows-Volume to max!
now open any music file and slide the SUB to max., and then justify the Center/Front/Rear carefully.

There is your BASS! Enjoy.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 13

I'm not much of an audiophile so I can't really describe their sound signature very accurately, but to me they sounded extremely bright with huge emphasis on the treble and almost no bass. The vibration driver doesn't really add much to the listening experience in my opinion.

Disabling upmixing you kill built in bass.
However, higher frequencies of sound are not exactly awesome in rest od little speakers.

I have them myself, I am not an audiphile, mind you.

They are mixed bag for me.

I am guessign due to my biology(i am not a small guy) with rather strange assymetric ears I can't say that 5.1 did make all difference in the world for me.  I did feel it in movies. But I was catching myself that i was expecting more.

Cons: They were all right. But I see more disadvantages that anything.
They didnt live long. Long cable(which is good), but can not be disconnected anywhere closer to middle, meaning it gets swirled naturally and since I can't disconnect them from sound card every tie i had to hold it and swirl out. They got damaged closer to headset base. That's reason I am here.
Stereo is not exactly awesome, but take it with big grain of salt, I am NOT an  audiophile.
Just tat uncomfortable after long period of using, nothing major, probably just my silly head.

Pros: 3.5 connector to 7.1 sound card is a major plus in my book.(linux dude here). Actual phisical 5.1 surround sound.
Built in Mic
It wouldn't be bad for gamers, but for rest of ya - nah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back