Robot cannon goes berserk, kills 9!
Oct 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

Just a little later than expected.

love T2. that movie rocks.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 27
Strange, my robot cannon has always been very well mannered.
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 27
Feeling safer by the day with these security improvements without accountability.

Just a mistake, mam...

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"you have ten seconds to comply"

Gee Whizz

GAD, activate skynet quick...

get in the bunker!

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that this is a pretty tragic incident, but I can't help but think that that is the coolest headline I've ever read.

You should read the article - this cannon was operating completely autonomously.

*I* should read the article? Maybe *you* should read the details:

Quote:

He further explained the guns could be set on either "manual or electric firing mode". On the day, they had all been set on manual. This meant they were sighted on the target, and the barrel then clamped into position "so that the barrel should not move from side to side"

So they weren't firing autonomously. Like Jim O'Halloran from Jane's states later in the article...

Quote:

"If a shell was jammed in the breech and the cordite then fired, it could set off the ammunition in the canisters," says O'Halloran. The force of that explosion could easily spin the turret around, he notes. "It's a very tragic accident, but it is not a robot gone out of control."

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 27
Wait, so the robotic cannon was smart enough to frame humans to take the blame? Impressive . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back