Road tripping in Europe!! Need advice from more experienced.
Apr 23, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 24
Uhoh, 21 cities in 14 days. I wouldn't want to do that. Fuel budget seems a bit on the low side, too... At least be sure to rent a diesel, then.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Don't use your car in Paris if you want to see around. Use the Metro.

If you park you're car, you often find that someone has parked right in front and right behind with an inch to spare ....... they bang their way out!!!!!

Ian (With bent bumpers)

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #20 of 24
Yeah, fuel cost is abit of a concern. We're lucky that we can cut accomodation costs by staying at friend's places. Assuming the journey is about 4000km long, we're anticipating about 1400 total on the car. Rental + fuel + insurance. I realise that fuel prices in America are unusualy low, so I'm not basing my fuel assumption on that. I'm keeping my eyes fixed in gas tho. If it goes too high, we are going to have to travel by train which changes everything.

I'm a car nut, but I believe hybrids are a fad. In a journey like this, it will not save much fuel because that car needs to brake in order to regenerate it's batteries. In a highway, the electric motor will be totally useless. But lets not get to that subject. It'll go on forever. :p

Once we get into major cities, we probably won't use the car. Public transport are very well done in Europe. Milan for example as a bus, tram ANDsubway!!
basshead.gif

I'm noticing that Cologne is coming up alot on this thread. I'm definitely going to look into it.

Apr 23, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 24
Well, if you've already been to these places, that changes everything. For some reason I got the impression that you were going to be sightseeing. In any case, I've remembered one more recommendation. Outside of Dusseldorf is Wuppertal, home of the worlds only and oldest suspended monorail, the Schwebebahn. Maybe it's a little geeky for you (probably not too many hot babes), but I thought it was cool.

schwebebahngross8ax.jpg

Apr 23, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #24 of 24
Hi there,

I've some recommendations.

For Rome, there is a great restaurant called Il Caminetto
http://www.abcroma.com/Ristoranti/Ri...C=0&T=0&gold=N

For Florence, Best Gelato is a place called Cavini
http://www.gelateriacavini.it/

Vivoli is another gelato place which is in the heart of town but the selection is less and prices 3 times higher.

For the best restaurant, recommended by someone i bumped into in florence; she was a hotel manager. It's called Ristorante Buca Dell'orafo.

Via Dei Girolami, 28R - Firenze
Tel : 055 213 619

It's between Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi, in an alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back