RME PAD and XP standby function
Feb 27, 2004 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spent&Bent

500+ Head-Fier
Ever since installing my RME card I cannot get my computer system out of stand by anymore...
Anyone else had this problem and solved it? please tell me how.
Thanks!.

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 14
Same problem here, so sloution as of yet.

PLEASE RME, FIX THIS, along with these humilating driver faults that should not be found in a $300 sound card:

- When you try to deactivate the soundcard in device manager, the computer restarts.
- Volume slider uncrontollable. Let's say I set the slider at -9 dB and the use Foobar2k or any other program to play music. Ocassionally the volume is played back at 0 dB, eventhough the volume slider in the RME settings still is at -9 dB. You must click the slider to get -9dB again.
- System standby not possible.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 14
It's a pro soundcard. I wouldn't expect any consumer features supported. Can't have everything.

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
It's a pro soundcard. I wouldn't expect any consumer features supported. Can't have everything.

Exactly. And Daroid... RME will never read this thread. Standby is a pointless feature for anyone who would be leaving their pc on anyway. Though I will say the reversion of the volume to the max is a bug they should address, cause that's with all applications, not just foobar. Once I get an amp with analog volume control I suppose I won't care about that either.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lan

I'm not asking for consumer features, whatever such things are. All I am asking is a "bug-free" card, compatible with Win XP, Linux etc. which the card also is. Can't have everything ? THOSE ARE ESSENTIAL FAULTS which is very-a-la cheap consumer hardware with bad drivers. I know the drivers maybe aren't simple to write compared to the more consumer-oriented soundcards, because of the extra features, and therefore more bugs can occur. IMO they are doing nothing to correct any of the issues above - no new drivers (for one of the most used operating systems - WinXP)since 16/04/03 (dd/mm/yy).

When a piece of hardware makes the computer restart, when you try to deactivate, or "doesn't support standby" it shows that a card is badly integrated with atleast WinXP... and I can't see how this even be discussed.

^
|
|
|
IMO

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 14
Actually the pro cards have less features than consumer cards. There aren't many driver revisions because they work fine in the pro audio apps.

Standby is a function of operating system and motherboard also isn't it? I don't have any experience since I never use it. I either leave my computer on or hibernate.

>>>THOSE ARE ESSENTIAL FAULTS which is very-a-la cheap consumer hardware with bad drivers.

Well the more you do with something, the more you can find "fault" with it. It only becomes an issue if it affect the target/majority of users. RMEs directsound drivers for example are very basic and are actually emulated. Have any issues running directsound apps like games? Not their problem.

>>>When a piece of hardware makes the computer restart, when you try to deactivate

It is unusual to deactivate a device in device manager.

As for the volume reverting..... Is the RME the only card you have and is also default windows soundcard? Do you have multiple apps in ASIO and directsound trying to control the card at different times (possibly without your notice)?

The card targeted for ASIO and low latency apps. Who knows how it really interacts with webbrowsers (flash, quicktime, etc.) windows media player, etc.

>>>After using line in device and play back simultaneously, there is a problem using ASIO, where the audio will not playback. WaveOut, DirectSound is no problem, though.

Are you using ASIO in and out in full duplex?

--Lan

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Is putting XP into standy by really necessary? Unless you are using a laptop (which you aren't, unless RME has started making laptop digi96/8 PAD's, I wish) it's not really saving that much electricity. Stand-by is handy for laptops, but not necessary and not even well supported for desktops.

You could have it set to turn off the hard drives after a couple hours of inactivity.

Better yet, you can save alot more power by changing incandescent light bulbs out for compact fluorescent ones. I did that and saved alot more in my electricity bill, even when leaving my computers on 24/7.

I agree with Lan. If you need to turn off the computer for power savings reasons, use hibernate. It shuts the computer off completely. Stand-by only turns the hard drives off. the fans, and many other components keep on going.

As I mentioned with the light bulb advice, there are many better ways to save even more power without sacrificing computer convenience.

-Ed

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree about the fact that they must focus on their target audience, hence emulated DS, and probably the same reasons why it doesn't playback in sample rates below 32 kHz also.

Edwood > I'm not using the hibernate or standby actually, I'm only concluding that it doesn't work and therefore it shouldn't matter to me. I'm just saying that it doesn't work - so whether it is a hardware or software fault - the problem exists, and IMO should be corrected to make this a soundcard that is completely compatible with Win XP. Thank you very much for the hibernating advice, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Lan -> Yes it is unusual to deactivate a device in device manager, and isn't something I do regularly, I'm only concluding that this is the only device PCI that restarts the computer by itself, if deactivated.
About the volume problem. I have no other soundcards, and only using foobar2k without any other programs open which has anything to do with sound/using the soundcard. Problem occurs when I stop a song and open another/jump position in a song/pauses and plays. It is not happening every time I do this, but only sometimes. Can't find out why it happens, and why it only does this sometimes.
About the simultaneous usage of line-in/out: Only ASIO in half duplex - also happens with regular wave-out through line-out. But this could be a conflict with another program that was open - AdAware, which playbacks an (ugly) sound, when scanning for spyware's finished, will remove it from the list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 14
If there is a driver for the RME available that's certified by Microsoft, try using that (perhaps an older driver version -- if it's not on the RME website use the Windows Update feature to check for alternate drivers on the Microsoft website). Microsoft WHQL won't certify drivers that can't handle standby.

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 14
When I use start --> turn off computer --> stand by, it actually shuts down everything including fans, and because the computer is located in my living room, not having the fans on is very important to me because I also listen to my "regular" player.

the only thing that has still power on is the memory, everything else is shut down including my monitor.
I have been using this feature often because starting up the monitor and other components lots of times during the day is bad for them and gives extra wear.

I will probably move the computer somewhere else until I can buy a silent power supply, this is the only thing infact that still has a fan on it btw..

Feb 28, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
When I use start --> turn off computer --> stand by, it actually shuts down everything including fans, and because the computer is located in my living room, not having the fans on is very important to me because I also listen to my "regular" player.

the only thing that has still power on is the memory, everything else is shut down including my monitor.
I have been using this feature often because starting up the monitor and other components lots of times during the day is bad for them and gives extra wear.

I will probably move the computer somewhere else until I can buy a silent power supply, this is the only thing infact that still has a fan on it btw..

Properly optimized average PC's can boot up in under 30 seconds these days... there's simply no reason to use standby. Ever.

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
Properly optimized average PC's can boot up in under 30 seconds these days... there's simply no reason to use standby. Ever.

Uh, I beg to differ -- if you consistently need to work with multiple applications, it's a royal pain to have to restart all your applications again after a reboot, plus you have to remember where you were. Also, in many corporate settings, it's policy to suspend machines when you go home for the evenings and on weekends (for power saving reasons) -- shutting them down completely makes it impossible for support to access them remotely for maintenance (suspended machines can be woken up using "Wake on LAN").

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Uh, I beg to differ -- if you consistently need to work with multiple applications, it's a royal pain to have to restart all your applications again after a reboot, plus you have to remember where you were. Also, in many corporate settings, it's policy to suspend machines when you go home for the evenings and on weekends (for power saving reasons) -- shutting them down completely makes it impossible for support to access them remotely for maintenance (suspended machines can be woken up using "Wake on LAN").

Those dont sound like PC uses to me, the P standing for "Personal"

But your point is made. I'd still never touch it considering how horribly supported it is with nearly all hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back