RME Digi96/8 Pad vs. ART DI/O or ART DPS re: A-D Converters
Jan 7, 2004 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rontokyo

100+ Head-Fier
There's been a lot of buzz here about both the ART DI/O and RME Digi96/8, particularly in terms of their D-A converters. As my focus is recording vinyl to my hard drive, my concern is the respective merits of the A-D converters. ART also makes a "DPS" [Digital Preamp System--a mike preamp with digital outs] which may or may not use the same A-D converter as found in the DI/O. Would anyone hazard a guess as to which--the RME or ART--will give me the best results for analog to digital conversion?

Jan 7, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 7
FYI, RME Digi96/8 PST makes use of AK5383, which is slightly older chip and offers 110dB of DR and SNR.. ART DI/O uses AK4528 codec with 108dB of DR.. however I don't know which ADC uses the newer RME Digi96/8 PAD, it should be some of the newer AKM ADCs with incredible specs..

anyone report this?

Jan 9, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Boldercables just announced they have a modded DI/O which has it's AD section still working. You may want to take a look into that.

"We are now offering a FULL mod for the ART DI/O. This will keep the A/D section intact.
It consists of changing out ALL of the electrolytic capacitors and changing some resistor values to work with the new op-amps in the analog input section.
Most of the other smART DI/O mods apply"

http://www.boldercables.com/Store.as...26+Accessories

Talk to Wayne and see if he has any opinions on this mod.

Many of the modded DI/O we discuss here have the A/D sections removed.

I can't really say which A/D works best because the specs may or may not match up to reality.

Jan 9, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks, Ian. I was thinking more along the lines of a stock ART DI/O vs. RME Digi. A modded ART will end up costing quite a bit more, but if the results are noticibly superior to the RME then it is something to consider. I'll contact Boldercables and see if by chance Wayne has compared the smART to the RME card.

Jan 9, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Not that I have had direct experience with the ADC of either, the RME has a much better reputation on the recording boards than the ART DI/O does. Of course, if you want to go hog wild, you could look at Apogee, dCs, etc. For more info on recording stuff, you could surf over to Gearslutz (my favorite) or home recording bbs (interesting enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back