RME Digi96/8 Foobar 2000 settings?
Jun 27, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Kelesh is on the money. Low latency doesnt mean a thing for audio playback... only people who need such a thing are musicians for recording/mixing. In fact, it's actually harmful by adding to the probability of clipping, as well as making noticeable crackling when adjusting the digital volume or skipping within a track.

It's common knowledge that kmixer doesnt affect the rme even with waveout. With other soundcards this might be an issue.

So, you're right Mr Radar, but needlessly so
smily_headphones1.gif

What about a USB sound card like the Audiophile? The Audiophile doesn't like to do ASIO above 48KHz, so I'm stuck with waveout in winamp. If kmixer isn't an issue, then I guess I can stop searching for a solution.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Kelesh is on the money. Low latency doesnt mean a thing for audio playback... only people who need such a thing are musicians for recording/mixing. In fact, it's actually harmful by adding to the probability of clipping, as well as making noticeable crackling when adjusting the digital volume or skipping within a track.

It's common knowledge that kmixer doesnt affect the rme even with waveout. With other soundcards this might be an issue.

So, you're right Mr Radar, but needlessly so
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I learn something everyday.

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #18 of 23
RME cards bypass the KMixer by default. Which is why it is very difficult to hear the difference between Waveout and ASIO.

I don't do professional recordings, so ASIO is not important for me. But it's nice to know I can use ASIO drivers. In that geeky way that is.

Does ASIO really use up more CPU than Waveout with the RME?

-Ed

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 23
noticably so, especially noticable when resampling and maybe dithering.

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh
noticably so, especially noticable when resampling and maybe dithering.

Upsampling will suck alot of CPU cycles either way.

I guess I'll have to pay attention to see the CPU usage difference after I reinstall my RME PAD.

-Ed

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 23
with my old athlon xp1700+, resampling alot with waveout was ok, but with asio it was just to much for the cpu.

Jun 29, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Does ASIO really use up more CPU than Waveout with the RME?

-Ed

It really does. I had the same problem as kelesh; when I was using asio and the equalizer together on my p4 2.4, I'd get an enormous amount of clipping. As soon as I switched to waveout without touching any other setting, it all ran smooth again. Asio is a bad idea if you have another quality option that doesnt involve so much immediate processing. I think it's the fact that it demands the processing with such low latency that fudges everything up rather than the actual amount of it. Afterall, cpu's these days are created for multitasking but they're still only 2-bit.

Jun 29, 2004 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 23
Currently "kernel streaming" with resampling set to 88.2 outta Foobar2000 with a P4 3.4 using an Echo Indigo. According to Windows Task Manager, (for what it's worth), CPU cycles are showing 5% max. When I switch to slow mode I get some spiking to 11%. (very rarely though) Just FYI if it's helpful to anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back