RME Digi 96/8 Pad A Good Choice?
Dec 31, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 36
I'm not joking, and I was referring to my turtle beach sound card, which makes almost everything sound like grainy crap through my class A headphones / amp /cables.

I guess I was a bit misleading, but please don't take things out of context, misquote me, and make me look like a dork
smily_headphones1.gif

It's painfully obvious that .wav and FLAC sound better, a hell of a lot better than .mp3, which is why I'm going through the bloody trouble of buying a $300 high end soundcard, a $70 hard drive, and spending hours ripping all of my stuff to FLAC. That's not the point of my post, and I'll reiterate it: The santa cruz that I have pretty much makes all formats sound about the same: grainy, compressed, dead, colored, boomy, and slow.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 31, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 36
Let me reiterate:

DON'T QUOTE OUT OF CONTEXT!

unless you want to become a politician.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 31, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Let me reiterate:

Cheers,
Geek

Or a journalist!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 31, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 36
Sorry Geek, I didn't mean to quote you out of context. I thought that you were simply stating that 128K MP3s sound like wav files. I wasn't trying to quote you out of context, I was simply editing out the information that didn't seem relavent. Now that I understand your soundcard sucks your second and third sentences make sense and I'm the one who feels stupid.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 36
It's ok, Patrick. I'm guilty of doing the same thing, and I do it quite often
smily_headphones1.gif

Back on topic, GEEK WANTS SOUNDCARD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111. I always act like a five year old when I order stuff, over-excited and impatient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 36
My fedex guy came extra early on 31st
biggrin.gif
he's cool.

Jan 2, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Let me reiterate:

Cheers,
Geek

That'll teach me not to check out head-fi at work again.

I'm an idiot. Obviously, I didn't fully understand your post, either.

Sorry, Geek.

Jan 2, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 36
biggrin.gif

Actually, I thought you were either making fun of the guys on Hydrogen Audio--many of whom say they can't tell the difference in ABX tests between high bitrate MP3s and other codecs and the original wav files (likely because their phones and/or speakers are mediocre)--or that you really did think 128K MP3s sound like wavs. Anyway, back on topic....
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #26 of 36
aah.

It's not that big of a crime if someone can't tell the difference between 128k mp3s and wav - simply because the vast majority of the public either has complete disregard for truly good sound or lacks the equipment to make .wav sound better.

But for serious audiophiles such as head-fiers. . .
frown.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 3, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
biggrin.gif

Actually, I thought you were either making fun of the guys on Hydrogen Audio--many of whom say they can't tell the difference in ABX tests between high bitrate MP3s and other codecs and the original wav files (likely because their phones and/or speakers are mediocre)

Actually, I know many of these guys personally and can vouch for the fact that in general they own HD580, HD600, Etymotic ER4P/4S, HD280 Pro, stuff like that.

Also, a lot of "ABX challenges" have been posted in a very open way, for people with superior equipment free to come in anytime and prove that there are big differences between high bitrate MP3s (+ other lossy codecs) and the original wav files. Strangely, nobody from this board or anywhere else has ever taken up the challenge and proven the HA people wrong, to my knowledge. Just stuff like you posted above -- totally specious arguments apparently designed to do nothing but support your own "audible illusions."

If you have the high-end equipment and have something to prove, HA is still waiting for your proof like it has been the past few years. My guess is that it'll wait forever... won't it? If not, hop on over there and prove these guys wrong using controlled, scientific listening methods combined with your high end gear. It should be easy considering how terrible high-bitrate MP3s sound compared to the original wavs, and how dramatic the differences are, right? So go for it!

Jan 3, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #28 of 36
as has been stated on this board several times, being an audiophile means squeezing out that extra 1% of sound quality. wouldn't we be cheating ourselves if we crippled our equipment right at the start by using lossy compressed files?

it's seriously annoying to read the same arguments every day. just put a link to HA in your sig and be done with it. you refer to it in almost every post you make.

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Actually, I know many of these guys personally and can vouch for the fact that in general they own HD580, HD600, Etymotic ER4P/4S, HD280 Pro, stuff like that.

Also, a lot of "ABX challenges" have been posted in a very open way, for people with superior equipment free to come in anytime and prove that there are big differences between high bitrate MP3s (+ other lossy codecs) and the original wav files. Strangely, nobody from this board or anywhere else has ever taken up the challenge and proven the HA people wrong, to my knowledge. Just stuff like you posted above -- totally specious arguments apparently designed to do nothing but support your own "audible illusions."

If you have the high-end equipment and have something to prove, HA is still waiting for your proof like it has been the past few years. My guess is that it'll wait forever... won't it? If not, hop on over there and prove these guys wrong using controlled, scientific listening methods combined with your high end gear. It should be easy considering how terrible high-bitrate MP3s sound compared to the original wavs, and how dramatic the differences are, right? So go for it!

I do agree with you, on my system 320K MP3s to sound very close to the original wav files, about 9/10 of the original. Sorry to come off as a snotty, closed-minded audiophile.

I reason I won't do the ABX testing myself if that I believe the the procedure itself is flawed. Double blind testing is great, I agree with that part of the procedure, but I don't think it is necessary to play the random sample (the X). Being that the original and the compressed versions sound so similar it is possible that a person would not be able to tell which version they were listening to during the X part of the procedure yet they may be able to tell that one file sounds better than another during strait AB testing--back and forth, even without being told which file is which. Listening fatigue would also set in after a few trials which would make it even harder to tell the difference. Have such double-blind tests been done, or has it all been done with ABX style testing (sorry for my ignorance, I've only recently started visting Hydrogen Audio)?

I really respect the philosophy of Hydrogen Audio--it's focus on hard science. But from my few visits their I get the impression that they blindly accept that the ABX system is the correct way to test anything and everything. Many times they seem as closed minded as us here on Head-Fi. Head-Fiers seem to want to justify spending more money on equipment while the guys at Hydrogen Audio want to justify that the inexpensive equipment is just as good as the expensive. Both sides have vested interrests being that each forum has been around for a few years. And, of course, tests done by people on each forum tend to support their assumptions. The tests on Hydrogen Audio are more scientific (no duh
biggrin.gif
) but they also seem to prove exactly want them want them to prove (that inexpensive is just as good, lossy codecs just as good as wavs) and if your study proves what you want it to then why change the procedure, right?

But I like Hydrogen Audio. I've started to lurk there whenever Head-Fi is down.

Jan 4, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
I really respect the philosophy of Hydrogen Audio--it's focus on hard science. But from my few visits their I get the impression that they blindly accept that the ABX system is the correct way to test anything and everything. Many times they seem as closed minded as us here on Head-Fi.

Heheheheh...
biggrin.gif

Yeah, no doubt there's some blindness and dogmatism over at good ol' HA. The board has changed a lot over the past couple years, when lossy codecs started to mature and HD storage started getting so big that lossless began to make more sense. Seems to me the board has regained somewhat of a sense of direction (Foobar2k, new video forums, etc), but I was really worried for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back