RME Babyface Pro good for 600 ohm headphones?
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 19
For the future searchers out there - the RME Babyface pro headphone out is very powerful. I have used the following at the following volumes which are comfortable to me (which are probably a bit louder than average, but not deafening)

Hifiman HE4XX @ around 25%
Beyer DT880/250 @ a bit above 25%
Beyer DT770/80 @ around 20%
Beyer DT250/80 @ around 20%
Shure SRH840 @ a bit under 20%

The output volume is likely not linear, but even with harder to drive headphones there is '75%' more headroom if you need it.

All of which was out of the 1/4" output, which is louder and higher impedance...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #17 of 19
Hmm....your findings don't exactly match with what I have found on mine.
I have to set the HE4xx to almost 50% (-16db) to get what I would consider to be a good listening volume (source dependent of course)

I run my HE4xx off the 1/8th outputs because they have a lower output impedance and sound better with that set of phones to my ears.

Also some clarifications:

The 1/8th inch output has LOWER power than the 1/4 inch. (Output level of +7dbu vs +13dbu) Also, the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) has HIGHER impedance than the 1/8th inch (3.5mm) (10 ohm vs 2 ohm).
This makes sense because the 1/8th inch is in place to provide a more accommodating output for very sensitive cans or iems.

Here are the specs from the RME website:
DA, Phones 3/4

• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
  • Output impedance: 10 Ohm
  • Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +13 dBu
  • Max power @ 0.1% THD: 50 mW
  • Output: 3.5 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
  • Output impedance: 2 Ohm
  • Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +7 dBu
  • Max power @ 0.1% THD: 70 mW

Regardless of all this....the amps in the Babyface Pro do have enough power to drive the planars with relative ease. Factor in the great EQ options and it makes a really fine computer listening solution.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 19
Hi Beyermann,

In answer to your overall question, RME Babyface Pro will be more than able to run 600 ohm headphones as the output impedence on the Babyface Pro is ridiculously low, though more out of curiosity, I ask why?
Honestly, if you're worried about audio levels, I would suggest not using 600 ohm headphones without a good dedicated headamp which can reach good safe levels (less than 60 db for standard 8 hours or more) without distortion & clipping.
Also, it is important to remember good source quality is important so if you're after a good interface which are cheaper but still more than good though perhaps not Babyface Pro quality would be as follows in no particular order :

Focusrite Scarlett Series
Lexicon Alpha (I have been using this for almost 20 years & it is still going strong & built like a tank), audio levels are set for the halfway mark though my PC is generally set at 100 % which allows me to put the audio levels at very low levels which are my preference, usually less than 20 db, this goes for speakers, headphones & IEMs.

If you are concerned about outputs & inputs in your setup, I suggest something like a monitor controller, like the Drawmer MC 2.1 which is my main sound hub from the Lexicon Alpha, the volume dial on the MC 2.1 is never above 9 o'clock position which makes it plenty loud.
From the headout on the Lexicon Alpha, I have a good splitter where I alternate between my two main head amps, RNHP & CTH with a spare output for any portable head amps. These used to be connected to my monitor controller but I have three speakers connected to the outputs.
Perhaps on the ridiculous side, I also have the Presonus HP4 connected from one output which is not only my secondary headamp but acts as a pass through so I can run passive speakers its own amp as the MC 2.1 is only for active speakers.

Hope this is useful.

Let me know how you go.

Could you possibly suggest a portable audio-interface and micpre with 2 or more XLR inputs that is as good as Babyface Pro FS, if not better AND with built-in battery? Ideally smaller than Babyface but I don't mind a similar size. Preamps need to be just as good, if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back