RME ADI-2 AD/DA: Initial impressions (big pics)
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 22
I just picked up an ADI-2 PRO myself. Not sure what you mean by "maybe" sounds better than the Mojo. I have a Benchmark DAC2, which IMO blows the Mojo away fairly easily. With that said, the ADI-2 PRO will be replacing my Benchmark DAC2 and ADC1 USB combo. I am very impressed with RME's work on this unit, I feel like the ADI-2 PRO and the DAC2 are on the same level, can't decide on a clear winner, but I like the convenience of having AD/DA in one box (works as preamp as well with analog in if not doing AD). I have also compared the DAC2 with the Lynx Hilo a while back, for the same type of all in one solution, but to my ears, the Hilo's DA was nowhere close to the Benchmark.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 22
Would love to hear some more impressions on the Pro unit. I currently have a Hugo TT but this looks to offer similar specs for half the price. Does anyone know of the USB input is galvanically isolated?

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 22
  I just picked up an ADI-2 PRO myself. Not sure what you mean by "maybe" sounds better than the Mojo. I have a Benchmark DAC2, which IMO blows the Mojo away fairly easily. With that said, the ADI-2 PRO will be replacing my Benchmark DAC2 and ADC1 USB combo. I am very impressed with RME's work on this unit, I feel like the ADI-2 PRO and the DAC2 are on the same level, can't decide on a clear winner, but I like the convenience of having AD/DA in one box (works as preamp as well with analog in if not doing AD). I have also compared the DAC2 with the Lynx Hilo a while back, for the same type of all in one solution, but to my ears, the Hilo's DA was nowhere close to the Benchmark.

So maybe, just maybe, the DAC3 is better than ADI-2 PRO? 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #20 of 22
So maybe, just maybe, the DAC3 is better than ADI-2 PRO? :rolleyes:

As a dac, it probably is, but for the same money, the ADI-2 PRO also has a AD and much more functionality, whether the additional processing and the AD is needed is entirely personal preference.

The Benchmark is a very very good DAC, when they announced the DAC3, I reached out to Benchmark asking if there would be an upgrade path for current DAC2 owners, to which the response was: "No, the DAC2 and DAC3 aren't that much different."
If they aren't that different, why come out with a DAC3 and boast about it, and considering the ESS 9028 is a drop in replacement for the 9018, from what I understand wouldn't be that difficult to implement, had they went with the 9038 and done a whole board redesign, I would be more understanding. With that said, Benchmark has lost me as a potential future customer due to this.
Comparing the DAC2 to the RME for the first 2 weeks I had it, the DAC2 had a slightly better SNR (a bit quieter background) and a little bit more depth, now whether this is the effects of processing or better detail retreival, I'm not entirely sure but would likely guess processing. In addition, the DAC2 seemed to have a slightly more relaxed presentation and softer attack, as well as a bit recessed mid and tizzy highs, comparing to the RME on the "NOS" setting. Now again, not a night and day difference, but very slightly different traits when A/B-ing. I was happy with both DACs' presentations. What pushed me to keep the RME was what you get for the price, as I also compared both the Benchmark ADC1 and the A/D in the RME, RME won easily, but considering the ADC1 is fairly old this was not that surprising, but swayed me towards the RME more.
Someone on another forum did the review of the RME for headfonics and also received a DAC3 for review, unfortunately never posted any impressions between the 2.
If I didn't need an A/D in addition to the DAC, I probably would've never looked into trying out the RME and probably would have kept my DAC2 and been content, other than knowing the DAC3 is out there.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 22
Is he saying the Benchmark sounds better? These reviews are so ambiguous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back