RMAF 2012 Just How “Absolute” Is Recorded Sound?
Apr 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

complin

1000+ Head-Fier
Facinating presentation by John Atkinson, Editor-in-Chief, Stereophile Magazine
Nothing is real. How the recording art affects what you think you hear!

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 7
The embedding seems to work now

had to turn it off as soon as he made the comment berating "objectivists," though... i hate strawman arguments, and to suggest that those who understand the value of measurements are too stupid to understand why stereo positioning works is just dumb. 

if someone can manage to make it through the schlock, and write up a cliffs-notes of what this guy has to say, I'd be happy to read an outline of his real points, without sifting through the rest of the crap

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Basically what he demonstrates is that most recorded music we purchase has been manipulated in some way so it may not (mostly does not) actually reflect what happened at the recording session.
He demonstrates the effect of different microphones and microphone placement techniques on the sound that gets reproduced.
He also demonstrates how often unrelated performances and pieces of music are melded together to make a musical performance which is then sold to the public.
In fact more often than not that performance did not take place as it is being presented on the CD/LP
Therefore as such there is no such thing as "Absolute" recorded sound

The presentation stats off rather slowly as he covers the real basic stuff but IMHO its worth watching

In terms of objectivists I think you have misunderstood his point, and he is not berating them as such for being objective, more the criteria they are using (the recordings).  What he is saying is that in most cases the recorded sound has been manipulated so you cant use this as being a true reflection of the actual performance.  Therefore as the recorded sound is not "as life" you cant really use this as an objective measure and I have to agree with that.  He also demonstrates some examples of the way recording used to be done with very simple microphone techniques and how good, natural and life like this is. Its a large orchestral piece he recorded in Ely Cathedral in the UK when Peter Walker of QUAD fame was alive.

Quote:
The embedding seems to work now

had to turn it off as soon as he made the comment berating "objectivists," though... i hate strawman arguments, and to suggest that those who understand the value of measurements are too stupid to understand why stereo positioning works is just dumb. 

if someone can manage to make it through the schlock, and write up a cliffs-notes of what this guy has to say, I'd be happy to read an outline of his real points, without sifting through the rest of the crap

May 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Thank you for sharing that lonk, nice demonstration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back