RMAA measurements for HeadRoom MicroDAC / MicroAmp?
Jul 15, 2005 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Miguel

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have done RMAA measurements of Headroom MicroDAC connected through USB? and Headroom MicroDAC+MicroAMP? If so, please post them. I am quite interested on a external portable USB DAC and this one seems great
smily_headphones1.gif
I would like to see how it performs with RMAA. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks, Kevin. I'll mention this link to our engineer, Joe W.

FWIW, Miguel, we do have an Audio Precision System Two Cascade which is a pretty bitchen piece of audio test gear, and Joe regularly tests our amps and others. There will come a time when we publish these measurements. (But, we're having difficulties with our current web graphing of headphones and amp graphs are a ways away.) I can assure you that our amps not only measure well, but they have been tested with a variety of loads and are stable and operate well over a wide range of operating conditions.

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Graphs aren't everything my man, you've got to hear it to believe it. I heard this amp, and I believed it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel
Does anyone have done RMAA measurements of Headroom MicroDAC connected through USB? and Headroom MicroDAC+MicroAMP? If so, please post them. I am quite interested on a external portable USB DAC and this one seems great
smily_headphones1.gif
I would like to see how it performs with RMAA. Thanks.

If you want, you can send me any amp you like and I'll run it through the s-parameter network analyzer at work. Between the old and the new one I can cover 5Hz to 1.8GHz frequency response.

Preliminary (read: no proper test leads and highly NON-conclusive-and-don't-draw-conclusions) results suggest that the BitHead has some internal EQ and the Straightwire mini-mini interconnect has an effect in the 20Hz-20kHz range.

I'm going to pick up some proper parts when I get a chance and make some proper leads...

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thanks, Kevin. I'll mention this link to our engineer, Joe W.

I'd be interested to know what Joe or yourself thinks of this program (O.K., useless, etc.) for amp and/or headphone testing. It seems to be the standard around here, and tests similar parameters (FR, THD) to those available at Headroom.

Thanks for any input,
Mark

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 8
My $0.02 on RMAA:

The program is very good, albeit a bit limited on what it does (i.e., what you get is what it gives you, with very few customizations). The real variable, though, is the sound card you use with it. If you don't use with a very good sound card then you're basically measuring just the sound card rather than the amp in question.

Doing a loopback test on the sound card alone is telltale. Most built-in sound interfaces on computer motherboards are very poor candidates for use with RMAA, because they perform so badly. Even some "pro"-grade cards are inadequate. Cards that are good for gaming, etc., are not necessarily good enough for RMAA use, because the emphasis is on certain features rather than absolutely the flattest frequency response, lowest noise floor/THD/IMD, and greatest stereo separation across the entire audio band.

I recently switched from using an M-Audio Transit USB to a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. Both cards are excellent, but the Transit only allows measuring at 24b/48KHz max (and it has a bit more distortion at that mode than at 16b/44.1K), while the FW Audiophile can go full tilt at 32b/96K. The FW Audiophile outperforms the Transit for RMAA purposes by a good margin especially for noise floor and stereo crosstalk due to the higher available bit-resolution. The higher sampling frequency also gives better high frequency response. Being external "mobile" interfaces, the sensitive audio circuitry in each of these can also be situated far away from the noisy internals of the computer.

Another thing about using RMAA is to make sure the measurement environment is wholesome. This means using short and well shielded interconnect cables, turning off fluorescent lights or lights with pulsive dimmers, orienting the setup away from CRT monitors, transformers, motors, or other emissive devices, etc. Those could all affect the measurements in some manner.

I have M-Audio Transit and FW Audiophile sound card loopback test results here if you're interested in seeing them:

http://www.amb.org/rmaa/

For headphone amps, it's important to run the tests with various dummy loads connected to the amp's output. Some amps behave well with high-Z loads (or no load), but the performance deteriorate badly when loaded down with low-Z (i.e., 32 ohm) loads.

RMAA is a useful tool, but should not be the only tool for measuring the performance of an amplifier. Some features are sorely lacking. For example, it would be nice if RMAA could plot THD vs. frequency and THD vs. output level graphs. Also, RMAA does not (and cannot) measure an amp's pulsive response such as square waves, slew rate, rise time, etc. For some of these there is no substitute for a good function generator, oscilloscope, and some dedicated instruments.

Since the sound card and test environment could affect the results, any published RMAA measurements of amplifiers should always be accompanied with the sound card loopback results for comparison (in order to establish a frame of reference). Since the same amp tested via two different setups can yield different outcomes, RMAA results should only be used to check for obvious flaws, not to compare for absolute specs. For example, if one amp has 0.001% THD tested on one setup, and another amp got 0.003% on a different setup, it's not meaningful to conclude whether one actually has lower distortion than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back