RKV or Baby Sophia for AKG K1000, or....
May 27, 2005 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lwd

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys

Another K1000 amp thread.... but I tried searching and could not find anything comparing the AudioValve RKV MkII and Baby Sophia. Has anybody actually heard both of these amps with the K1000s?

Like some others here I got in on TTVJ's great deal. I am really loving these phones though at the moment I find them just a tad bright generally. Currently using the stock cable and a SI T-amp.

May 27, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Pssssst! Just so you know. Sophia Baby looks awefully like one of the Chinese amps selling on eBay. All the specs look the same except the casing designs look a little different. And you can buy the Chinese amps for 1/3 of Sophia Baby's list price

May 28, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
Hi Guys

Another K1000 amp thread.... but I tried searching and could not find anything comparing the AudioValve RKV MkII and Baby Sophia. Has anybody actually heard both of these amps with the K1000s?

Like some others here I got in on TTVJ's great deal. I am really loving these phones though at the moment I find them just a tad bright generally. Currently using the stock cable and a SI T-amp.

I orignally had the Baby Sophia/K1000 combo on order. I ended up switching to the K1000/EAR v20 combo. I have never heard the Baby Sophia, but you might ask TTVJ about it. He will give you an honest opinion.

May 28, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 9
ask todd about the combo - his impressions .

i have the sophia el34 - i use it for speakers.
if you want - you can let me borrow the akg k1000 and ill let you know how it is?
k1000smile.gif

May 29, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 9
i love the rkv with the somewhat bright k1000. after i heard the k1000 with the rkv i quit my k1000 amp search. i bought an h.h scott, a fisher 400 & dared 300b mono blocks. also, i spent some time with an upgraded sophia el34 (big bro to the baby) thanks to richard at sophia electric. it was pretty good but i prefer the rkv over everything else i mentioned. i have not heard the baby but the el34 is supposed to be better than the baby & i still prefer the rkv.

the rkv's impedencer does a very good job with other "bright" cans of lower impedence such as the cd3k & qualia. i am not too crazy about the rkv with cans that are not bright because it seems slow or rolled off in the highs.

May 29, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Pssssst! Just so you know. Sophia Baby looks awefully like one of the Chinese amps selling on eBay. All the specs look the same except the casing designs look a little different. And you can buy the Chinese amps for 1/3 of Sophia Baby's list price

I went to ebay and found the Chinese amp you mentioned.
It looks exactly like Sophia Baby Amp minus some final cosmetic finishes.
However, the amp on ebay says it has 6P14/EL84 tubes.
The Sophia Baby has 6P1T tubes.
Might there be some differences in the circuit design?

Jun 2, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 9
After a few days of research, I realized that norh SE 9 is also popular with K1000 . It is cheaper than Sophia Baby or RKV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back