RKV-AKG K1000 questions...
Sep 18, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 30
I agree with most that's been said, positioning is very important.
Something else I noticed in your first post.
I don't know if you like to listen loud or it maybe a sign your hearing isn't
fully recovered, but my volume dial on the RKV doesn't go past the 10 o clock
mark.
Anything higher than that is to loud for me.
I would wait a while before making further judgements, maybe keep away
from your phones for a few days till your ears are fine.

Veto

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 30
I agree with most of what has been posted above; give your ears a few more days to recover. I will also observe that your source (the NAD) is about 1.5 levels below your amp and and 2 below the K1Ks. With a revealing transducer like the k1Ks, you WILL hear the limitations in your source. Not having listened to the NAD, that is just a general observation.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #20 of 30
My K1000 and RKV MK II combo arrived on Thusday, but thanks to Ivan I didn't get to listen to it until Friday Nitght due to power outtage.

Question for RKV MK II owner:

What's different b/w the "Headphone" and "Audio Valve" jack? I can't detect a difference b/w them. Are they supposed to be the same.

Impression of this combo (K1000 + RKV MK II):

This combo has amazing transparency, speed, with excellent soundstage. The best thing about this combo is a sense of air and sparkling. I also enjoy the gorgeous midrange.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 30
Thanks for the link!!!!

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 30
Guys,

Do I need to warm up the tubes in the RKV b/f actually listening to it?

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 30
I prefer my K-1000's fed by lower powered speaker amps as opposed to higher powered headphone amps. I have no problem with bass (although doesn't reach as low as phones that can go to the bassment, they are better than bookshelf speakers typically). Can't remember if I've heard the K-1000's from RKV, but I don't understand why people choose to try and power them from headphone amps when they can be powered effortlessly and cleanly from decent speaker amps as well. They are after all technically earspeakers and not headphones. Maybe new headphone amps like KG's dynahi transcends boundaries, but I have a feeling these are few and far between. Basically go for an amp that would power bookshelf speakers absolutely effortlessly. RKV apparently does 2 watts per channel which seems good enough(Headroom recommends 7), but I can say the K-1000's do just fine out of my 80W with no white-noise or burning smells.

The K-1000's were typically showcased by Headroom at tours with the 24 W EAR V20. I remember them sounding great there, and I think they sound pretty darn good from my Audiosource 80 W amp with Ear+ used as preamp (so I basically can listen to headphones, K-1000 earspeakers, or speakers on the fly). Power is definitely something I am not worrying about when listening to them. I don't like the idea of hooking up my K-1000's to an amp that would power HD6X0's fine, just like I wouldn't like the idea of hooking the HD6X0's to any speaker terminals either (course one is more destructive). Course I'm not saying to just hook em up to any 500W receiver either.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 30
Funny you should say that. I hooked up mine to a Yamaha RP-U100 and thought it drove them effortlessly. Perhaps speaker terminals are the way to go. Just gotta figure out what amp to use.

dsc27.jpg

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #26 of 30
Its not whether is called a headphone amp or a power amp, its the quality of the circuit design, the parts, and the assembly skill. I have used my k1ks with RKV, with a Bez tube 2A3 based "integrated" (power amp attenuator) and with a Cary 2A3 true integrated amp. Guess what, it sounds best with the Cary which is a $4K amp designed and marketed to drive efficient speakers. Puts out about 15 wpc. The RKV can easily drive efficient speakers with the impedanzer. IMO, the RKV "rocks" better but does not have nearly the definition, transparency, or timbral accuracy of the Cary. The Cary mates better with the kind of music I like, but you better have good AC in the summer, cause it puts out a ton of heat from those 4 2A3 output tubes, a pair of rectifiers, a pair of 6SN7s, and a pair of 9 pin minis (12AU7s, IIRC). With the k1ks, don't get hung up on labels for the amp. A good quality low power amp will probably work better than a low quality high power amp, but they also have to be able to drive the high impedence load of the k1ks. So call it what you want, and use what you like.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 30
I agree that K1000 is not the best choice if you want to just have a headphone system. It costs too much, and a quality headamp would cost even more.

K1000 is for people who already have/will have highj-quality speaker systems with an excellent amp already. Then you can just use the existing high-quality amp with K1000 and best of both worlds. I use 30wpc 300B push-pull amp and get tremendous subtlety and beauty as well as detail out of my K1000, but high-power solid state amps (high quality) can be used very successfully as well. Just don't start with volume at 5 o'clock!

Sep 28, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 30
Well my ears have finally settled back down to normal and all I can say is WOW.... the K1000s are amazing! Certainly a different listening experience but cool none-the-less. They seem to sound better being driven from the speaker terminals than through a amp.

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 30
eek.gif
K1000 and RKV... Might be time for a trip to Nashville.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back