RKV-AKG K1000 questions...
Sep 16, 2004 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
Got my K1000s a couple of days ago. Made my own cable for the RKV with a 1/4 plug at the end. My questions are this...

At the moment I'm coming to the end of a sinus infection so I know my ears aren't exactly back up to snuff. I've kind of been a little dissatisfied with the sound. I'm hoping it's just the ears being a little stuffed up. The other thing I noticed is I'm having to turn the RKV up to about 12 o' clock on the volume knob. Does that sound right? I'm coming from a NAD 541 through Headphile Black Gold ICs to the RKV. Is it just me or are the K1000s a rather unique sound I'm not accustomed to. Frankly I'm a little dissapointed considering alot of people have said this is a great combo. Or is this sound not for me?

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 30
Can you describe what you are hearing and what you don't like?

12oclock seems fine as the K1000s are not sensitive so need more turn of the volume knob.

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 30
Part of the problem is right now I can't hear alot of low end due to the sinus problem. I'm going to give it a week and see what happens. I also made another cable for hooking directly to speaker leads. Both of them worked perfectly so at least I'm pleased about that. I'll repost back here with more of my impressions.

Bought them on Audiogon for $450. They look cherry right out of the box. The speakers are stiff enough that I don't have to lock them down... they stay in place on their own for the moment.

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Part of the problem is right now I can't hear alot of low end

Like below 50hz? You never will with K1000's (IMO) unless you get a subwoofer to pair them up, then they are sweet. Not always too practical going that route though.

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 30
I don't think the K1000+RKV sounds thin. I'd wait until you're hearing is better before you evaluate anything.

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 30
You'll hear more bass if they are flat against your ears and less as you angle them out. Since they roll off so much starting at 50hz, you'll never hear bass like you would in a Senn or your CD3K's, for example. If you EQ them, it can help, but they just aren't capable of producing low freq. at matching volume to the rest of the spectrum. It's a tradeoff of sorts, less bass for outstanding everything else. Throw in a sub, pretty darn nice. All IMO...

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 30
With the K1000, I find positioning is extremely important. If I have them too high up on my head, they sound thin. I find myself repositioning them quite a bit when I first put them on until I find just the right place...then I settle in and listen.
k1000smile.gif

They are VERY sensitive to your source...if your source tends to be a bit on the bright side (not saying this is the case, just stating a general observation), you'll hear it ten-fold on the K1000.

Sep 17, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 30
What type of music are you listening to? I found for the most part, the K1000s were not thin with my RKV. The vocals are the most amazing thing with the K1000s - how does the midrange sound? And what are you comapring them against?

I agree with Elrod-Tom: position is critical with the K1000. Try experiementing with how they are set on your head. Finally, what did you make your cable with? My set up can be a tad bright (Sony CDP with Nordost Black Knights IC) but I do not find the K1000s thin.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 30
Mogami microphone cable... says Neglex 2534 on it as well. They didn't have any Canare Star quad in stock. Neutrik connectors all the way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
What type of music are you listening to? I found for the most part, the K1000s were not thin with my RKV. The vocals are the most amazing thing with the K1000s - how does the midrange sound? And what are you comapring them against?

I agree with Elrod-Tom: position is critical with the K1000. Try experiementing with how they are set on your head. Finally, what did you make your cable with? My set up can be a tad bright (Sony CDP with Nordost Black Knights IC) but I do not find the K1000s thin.

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 30
Many great suggestions here. I found Elrod-Tom's the greatest, the positioning on head - and position of the folding earpieces - made the most difference for me.

I also was told that tubes made a difference. My RKV sounded great with some Tungsram tubes. When I bought it, I was shipped other tubes by the seller. But based on his comments, I tried the Tungsrams and never looked back - didn't even try the other tubes!

I also noticed a slight difference with power cord upgrades. I had subtle but very noticable improvements with the TG Audio SLVR cable, and also a prototype Ribbon cable with Bybee filters in it. Both got a skootch more cleaner, deeper, tighter bass out of the unit.

Lastly, the adapter cable you use may help as well. I got a Belden-based (if I remember right) aftermarket cable with the XLR and 1/4" plugs. This improved the sound overall, top to bottom, from the stock AKG cable to which I attached a gold-plated 1/4" jack.

All that said: don't expect deep, visceral bass overall. I got pretty extended, TIGHT bass; but it didn't have the impact of my Sony CD3k's and Sennheiser HD-650's. But the overall sound was amazing from this combo: dynamic, detailed without harshness, airy, and it put Alison Kraus inside me
k1000smile.gif

Hmmmm....writing this, I'm already missing my combo. Sold it just recently due to lessened use and some cash need. I thought I might regret it someday, methinks them regrets are starting
frown.gif

Ciao fer now.

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 30
I'll second all that's been said above, but wanted to emphasize the importance of proper placement/fit. I would suggest to extend the pads so that they make only one click and spread the speakers about half inch from the frame of the headband (you should be able to fit a dime in between). Don't push them to far towards your temples. If properly positioned you'll get the center channel/singer at your eye level and not the forehead and the overall presentation will be very smooth and linear without any bumps and roll-offs.

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Would you consider the NAD a bright source?

I wouldn't...but mine's not the opinion that matters. All I'm saying is that if you've got a source that might be in your judgment a touch on the bright side with standard dynamic cans, it will seem like it will make your ears bleed with the K1000. Bass response from the source is very important.

Great cans...but very twitchy about the source. I like mine MUCH better since I upgraded to the MSB 192K module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back