risk of rio?
Oct 28, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 17
Hi,

No trouble with mine either, great sound. very powerful amplifier so you don't need a portable amp in most cases. Got a Vaja case for mine that's how conviced I am considering the cost of these cases.

I did get an extended warranty since I also read the scare stories Lets face it, if it goes wrong say 11 months down the line you'll probably get a new Rio model as a replacement so you get peace of mind and that benefit as a bonus.

Regards

John

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 17
looks like i can get it for a little over $200 new

what i really would like to do though is get one that isn't working and replace the hard drive. if i can find the right one on ebay (hard drive not responding, but otherwise ok) that's what i'll do. i should have bought one i saw a while back, but i didn't think it would work with my mac then. anyway, the busted ones usually go for around $60 or so, and i can get a slightly used hd for $75, so that would be a good deal. more risk of course, however. humm.....

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 17
My advice: Get it from newegg with the extended warranty, RMAs are dealt with directly through newegg and not with the manufacturer. Newegg has some of the best customer service on the net and will take most RMAs without reason.

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi,

No trouble with mine either, great sound. very powerful amplifier so you don't need a portable amp in most cases. Got a Vaja case for mine that's how conviced I am considering the cost of these cases.

I did get an extended warranty since I also read the scare stories Lets face it, if it goes wrong say 11 months down the line you'll probably get a new Rio model as a replacement so you get peace of mind and that benefit as a bonus.

Regards

John

Were you able to buy online and get the extended warranty? I'd love to get the replacement "policy" from Best Buy but they don't sell it.
confused.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
My advice: Get it from newegg with the extended warranty, RMAs are dealt with directly through newegg and not with the manufacturer. Newegg has some of the best customer service on the net and will take most RMAs without reason.

I am looking at buying a Karma within the next few weeks, and noticed that the Newegg extended warranty is only one year, while an extended warranty from buydig.com is three years, though it is a Mack warranty. I don't know anything about the Mack warranty, and amwondering if anyone has any experience with that company. Three years seems a lot better than one, even if the Newwegg service is excellent.

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 17
My karma died on me in a couple months. Then the replacement one died just outside the warranty. I would really go Creative or iRiver if I were you.

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 17
Mine died after 10 months. RIP.

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I am looking at buying a Karma within the next few weeks, and noticed that the Newegg extended warranty is only one year, while an extended warranty from buydig.com is three years, though it is a Mack warranty. I don't know anything about the Mack warranty, and amwondering if anyone has any experience with that company. Three years seems a lot better than one, even if the Newwegg service is excellent.

From what I've read about the Mack warranty they will only repair the product if they have the parts in stock. Also, I figure by the time the newegg warranty runs out ( 3 months + 12 months extended ), I'll already have a new DAP by then.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 17
The Mack Warranty was originally for cameras. Thus, any repairs done on your DAP will be by camera repairpeople, who probably have little knowledge about DAPs.

Now, I heard that the Viking Warranty is better, since they replace your player, rather than trying to fix it. I might be wrong on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back