Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind testing
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,066 of 1,376

That might depend on what you value in gaming. If you like the deep rumble of explosions and gunshots, maybe. If you feel that that low end rumble gets in the way of the finer details, particularly positional cues, it might be problematic.

It's strange that everybody mentions the low end on these because I don't find the bass to be over blown at all. The highs are crisp and can get a little edgy but I have no issues with directional cues when playing Arma 3. Then again I'm using Scout Mode through my Sound Blaster ZxR. I mean these are after all studio monitors that the public got hold of and started buying in mass quantities hence the hype. Obviously open cans are better suited to some games.

I also use them through my trusty old iBasso D6 with MusicBee and the asio4all driver for music and they sound pretty bloody good. I like them.

Sorry for going off topic - again.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,067 of 1,376
  It's strange that everybody mentions the low end on these because I don't find the bass to be over blown at all. The highs are crisp and can get a little edgy but I have no issues with directional cues when playing Arma 3. Then again I'm using Scout Mode through my Sound Blaster ZxR. I mean these are after all studio monitors that the public got hold of and started buying in mass quantities hence the hype. Obviously open cans are better suited to some games.

I also use them through my trusty old iBasso D6 with MusicBee and the asio4all driver for music and they sound pretty bloody good. I like them.

Sorry for going off topic - again.

There was a topic here? 
biggrin.gif

If I ever come across an M50x, I'll give it another listen. It's one of those cases where I'm fairly sure my preferences are still such that I wouldn't like it, but I'm open to the possibility that it might surprise me. I certainly won't dismiss it purely on the fact that it's popular and inexpensive, which, as we've discussed, is more than enough cause for the snobbier in the hobby to pigeonhole something as unworthy.

As to its studio purpose, I always saw it as a tracking can. It would be brilliant for that, I think, with deep bass that gives kick drums some nice punch and presence; clear highs for picking out the high frequency elements of the rhythm section (e.g. ride cymbal, high-hat); and less energy in the presence region so it doesn't sound shouty when turned up loud enough to hear over the instrument you're playing.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,068 of 1,376
I hate IEM's!!!
it's a safe choice to many people, no it's not for everyone, and not for every genre. I'm not sure why are you so apprehensive about a product that you don't own or care to recommend. Why don't you just move on?

Yup those are definitely not ATH-M50x sitting next to my Hifiman edition S headphone and my trinity vyrus. Hmmm i wonder what Audio technica headphones I have then???

However I do like them to electronic music espeically those composed by Zynthetic for his KF soundtracks. Christmas and carnival compositions

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #1,069 of 1,376
Hmm so I was wondering if any of you guys know of a reasonably priced dac/amp 1 box combo that would put out a fair bit of power - (probably about 1 watt or more into 50 ohms), that was more on the warmer-sounding side?  I have heard that the o2 is a bit clinical and I bought myself a ifi iDSD micro and found it to be the same.  I have a fairly good violectric amp that I like, but wonder if it's necessary - if I can sell $$$$'s worth of gear and replace it with $$$'s worth of gear and get the same outcome, I may as well do it and put the money back in my pocket.  Cheers.

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #1,070 of 1,376
Hmm so I was wondering if any of you guys know of a reasonably priced dac/amp 1 box combo that would put out a fair bit of power - (probably about 1 watt or more into 50 ohms), that was more on the warmer-sounding side?  I have heard that the o2 is a bit clinical and I bought myself a ifi iDSD micro and found it to be the same.  I have a fairly good violectric amp that I like, but wonder if it's necessary - if I can sell $$$$'s worth of gear and replace it with $$$'s worth of gear and get the same outcome, I may as well do it and put the money back in my pocket.  Cheers.

Maybe ask that in the Headphone Amps section.
It's a shame that this thread has become a discussion thread for specific gear.
Maybe it's work was done pages back and should be cleaned up and closed?

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,072 of 1,376
There are a few pages of m50 talk...

Sorry I was just asking in here because if you ask in the headphone amp section and tell people that you're using it for an Abyss they will give the usual answers of "you need a liquid gold or you won't get the most out of them" etc etc and everyone will just repeat every subjective bit of ramble they've read in the past.  As we have been discussing.  

I am just wondering because we keep saying that you can get equally as good performance out of electronics that are reasonably priced as megabuck gear, but hardly any specific products get mentioned apart from things like the o2 or an entry level schiit stack.  I'll take it to the board room.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,074 of 1,376
Even my very easy to drive in ears NEED an amp when I don't like the sound. At least they tell me. When the sound goes loud enough and doesn't clip it's ok

Hah, my easy to drive IEMs actually do benefit, when I plug them into my portable DAC/amp- so it comes with my on trips to increase the enjoyment of introvert downtime. However, for day to day, Neutron and a chunk of EQ keeps me out of trouble.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,077 of 1,376
Hah, my easy to drive IEMs actually do benefit, when I plug them into my portable DAC/amp- so it comes with my on trips to increase the enjoyment of introvert downtime. However, for day to day, Neutron and a chunk of EQ keeps me out of trouble.

Your phone and Neutron with custom eq can be good enough on day to day basis.

I did it too on my HTC10 before I got a new dedicated DAP. Running stuff with moderate volume from 16 ohms to 26 ohms.

I never felt I needed a dedicated amp. Even though many go by it that adds a lot more to the souund. Though I liked the DAP just to save battery on phone.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,078 of 1,376
  There are a few pages of m50 talk...

Sorry I was just asking in here because if you ask in the headphone amp section and tell people that you're using it for an Abyss they will give the usual answers of "you need a liquid gold or you won't get the most out of them" etc etc and everyone will just repeat every subjective bit of ramble they've read in the past.  As we have been discussing.  

I am just wondering because we keep saying that you can get equally as good performance out of electronics that are reasonably priced as megabuck gear, but hardly any specific products get mentioned apart from things like the o2 or an entry level schiit stack.  I'll take it to the board room.

And this thread hasn't degenerated into exactly that????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back