Ripping with Plextools (Ogg & MP3)
Feb 6, 2006 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I have always used Plextools for ripping (using Ogg Vorbis at Q8).

I am thinking about switching over to using MP3 instead of Ogg and haven't made up my mind yet. The main reason I may do so is because relatively few flash players support Ogg and all players support MP3. I have tried to listening comparisons between Ogg and MP3 at high bitrates and can't come to any conclusion if one is better than the other. Sometimes I hear slight differences between them, and sometimes one or the other sounds better with certain recordings (I think), but I find the differences to be subtle.

In other respects, they are about equal as well. File sizes for Ogg Q8 are comparable to MP3/Lame Extreme. Ogg Vorbis rips faster than MP3, but this is not a major problem. It would be unfortunate, on the other hand, if a great player came out that I wanted to use but couldn't because it didn't support Ogg. So I am thinking I may switch over but need more information first.

I have noticed some persons have previously posted messages that Plextools has problems ripping using MP3/Lame. Is this still the case?

Also, in the preferences area of Plextools, is it better to use "User Defined" rather than the presets they provide (preset Extreme, etc.) if MP3 is used? I believe if "User Defined" is used, codes have to be inserted in a special conguration file. Are the presets provided OK to use?

What specific tips for settings do you recommend for using Plextools with MP3/Lame?

Also, does Plextools have any problems with Ogg Vorbis or have all issues been fixed?

Thanks for any help. I know a lot of people like EAC here but please don't suggest using EAC...I prefer using Plextools.

Feb 6, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundbuff
I have always used Plextools for ripping (using Ogg Vorbis at Q8).

I am thinking about switching over to using MP3 instead of Ogg and haven't made up my mind yet. The main reason I may do so is because relatively few flash players support Ogg and all players support MP3. I have tried to listening comparisons between Ogg and MP3 at high bitrates and can't come to any conclusion if one is better than the other. Sometimes I hear slight differences between them, and sometimes one or the other sounds better with certain recordings (I think), but I find the differences to be subtle.

In other respects, they are about equal as well. File sizes for Ogg Q8 are comparable to MP3/Lame Extreme. Ogg Vorbis rips faster than MP3, but this is not a major problem. It would be unfortunate, on the other hand, if a great player came out that I wanted to use but couldn't because it didn't support Ogg. So I am thinking I may switch over but need more information first.

I have noticed some persons have previously posted messages that Plextools has problems ripping using MP3/Lame. Is this still the case?

Also, in the preferences area of Plextools, is it better to use "User Defined" rather than the presets they provide (preset Extreme, etc.) if MP3 is used? I believe if "User Defined" is used, codes have to be inserted in a special conguration file. Are the presets provided OK to use?

What specific tips for settings do you recommend for using Plextools with MP3/Lame?

Also, does Plextools have any problems with Ogg Vorbis or have all issues been fixed?

Thanks for any help. I know a lot of people like EAC here but please don't suggest using EAC...I prefer using Plextools.

Hi SB

The only thing I have noticed with the new Plextools upgrade is that I get the best results not using presets, using the old VBR, 192-320, and the stereo setting. I found that if the recording engineer fiddled with the phase, like in Bob Dylan's "Time out of Mind", I would get a distorted recording with joint stereo. Of course, YMMV.

Regards

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back