Ripping WAV
Aug 22, 2006 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DigiPete

500+ Head-Fier
Ran into an rare find.

Brothers in Arm dualdisc has a DVD Video side, which contains the album in 48khz/24bit LPCM wow!

I can rip it into 48/24 WAV using DVD Audio Extractor.

Now, if I want to compress this for my Ipod, will an MP3 encoder take advantage of the 24 vs. 16bits and the 48kz vs. 44.1khz, found in redbook?

I tried to encode it with EAC (using Lame 3.97 b4, approx 224 vbr) but EAC does not seem to want to rip it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pete
confused.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Ran into an rare find.

Brothers in Arm dualdisc has a DVD Video side, which contains the album in 48khz/24bit LPCM wow!

Now, if I want to compress this for my Ipod, will an MP3 encoder take advantage of the 24 vs. 16bits and the 48kz vs. 44.1khz, found in redbook?

I tried to encode it with EAC (using Lame 3.97 b4, approx 224 vbr) but EAC does not seem to want to rip it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pete
confused.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_codecs

jiitee

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Ran into an rare find.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pete
confused.gif

MP3 will absolutly ruin the sound of this great music. That said, the best you can do on a portable audio player is 48kHz/16-bit. So if you rip it at 48kHz/16-bit, then you can get the best sound possible from the DVD audio to play on your iPod. But to do that, you'll need to compress to ALAC unless you have Rockbox and then you can use FLAC (level 8) or Wavpack (x3) and play it in lossless. MP3 or AAC is right out as viable options to keep it as good as possible on an iPod.

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Using MP3 or AAC won't 'ruin' the sound, that is purist nonsense.

Most lossy codecs don't have an internal bitdepth. They can decode everything to 32 bit floating point if you wish. It could be that a specific encoder does not accept 24-bit input though, but with LAME it should not be a problem.

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Would a VBR compression not be worth trying? I found that to be the best compression method for my mainstyle of music. which is stuff from Jean Michelle Jarre and Reggae. In the JMJ stuff the accuracy of the electronic instruments is so important to me. Ordinary mp3 compression takes a lot of it away. The same goes for the heavy beats on my reggae tracks. VBR keeps me happy with its solid bass and clean enough tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back