Ripping vinyl with EMU 0404 USB
Dec 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dihnekis

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone
I have this hooked up in this order

Technics SL-1200 with DL-103 cartridge
Cambridge Audio Azur 640p
Little Dot MK III amp (in preamp mode... is this right?)
EMU 0404 USB

I am interested in ripping my vinyl collection. I have audacity and adobe audition, as well as click repair. My problem is that I don't really understand how to rip with my EMU 0404. It has two microphone or 1/4" inputs on the front, as well as 2 spdif inputs that I don't think will do me much good. I have tried sending a red and white signal straight into one of the 1/4" inputs, but I couldn't get the volume level right. If it was loud enough to hear properly, it would start distorting.

emu_0404_usb.jpg

So my next thought was that I needed two adapters to change the red and white stereo plugs coming from my little dot directly into 1/4" adapters, and send them both to the EMU. Then I'll use audacity/audition to input on both channels, and try and get the two gain knobs on exactly the same mark? How do I make sure I have the volume loud enough to be capturing correctly but not loud enough that it starts to distort (like it would with a single channel). Am I just really confused on something here?

EDIT: Also, what about the level knob? That seems to have an effect too.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 16
When you had both left and right routed into the single 1/4", were you using a stereo 1/4" plug? If so, I would bet the signal was being interpreted as a balanced input, hence your issues with distortion.

I would use each 1/4" input as mono, with an adapter such as this (or one of the cheaper variants from RatShack, etc). I've found it's not terribly hard to match gains with the 0404's inputs. If you want to be really precise, you can feed a test tone through the inputs and use a software monitor to adjust until both channels are equal.

By level knob, I assume you're talking about the direct monitor volume control? This works in conjunction with the main volume knob to control output volume - it has no effect on your recording.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna go pick up two of those adapters... and I wasn't speaking about the main volume knob, I was speaking of the level knob to its left (and above the inputs' gain knobs)... although you may have understood me and we may be talking about the same knob. It is the one in the most upper left that I am referring to.

And before I was using red/white>1/8">1/4", which is ridiculous I know and I wasn't really expecting it to work.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Just to make sure.. you are using a phono preamp as well, or using the tape-out from a stereo capable of playing records?
You don't want to just hook a turntable straight to the sound card.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 16
My suggestion for signal path would be:

Technics SL-1200 with DL-103 cartridge --> Cambridge Audio Azur 640p (std RCA (L/R) cable + 2 x RCA to 1/4" Mono Jack (male) adapters as suggested already) --> EMU 0404 USB

jiitee

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion for signal path would be:

Technics SL-1200 with DL-103 cartridge --> Cambridge Audio Azur 640p (std RCA (L/R) cable + 2 x RCA to 1/4" Mono Jack (male) adapters as suggested already) --> EMU 0404 USB

jiitee

Ok just skip the Little Dot entirely? I tried it without it and with it, and couldn't get it to work either way so I didn't really know if it was necessary. I will try some rips without it as per your recommendation. Going by RadioShack in a bit to pick up the adapters, I'll let you guys know how I can get a few rips to sound.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 16
Interesting thread. I'm interested to know which set-up works well. Why skip the LD?

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunchbox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread. I'm interested to know which set-up works well. Why skip the LD?

IMO, it's best if the recorded signal is as clean as possible. I would add (tube distortion) LD into playback chain only (if needed).

jiitee

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi there - please let me know if this works for you. I have been wanting to get back into vinyl and will be getting a KAB USA modded technics turntable this holiday season. Will use it with a grado master reference cartridge. I would like to run this to my phono stage (which my preamp actually has - until i buy the grado phono stage). This cartridge is low output so the hagerman ripper wont work (i emailed Mr Hagerman and he said output is too low). He suggested a commercial unit. So, ultimately, I'd like to get my turntable output to my preamplifier (which has a mc phono prestage). I would take the output from the preamplifier tape out or headphone out to an external ADC/USB and then to the computer via USB using some sort of free software whose name is escaping me at the moment. I want a high quality flac file at the end of the day. What I can't figure out is when i look at the EMU units and the M Audio units is how to connect the rca tape monitor outs from the preamp to either of these units. The converter jacks suggested here look like they would do the trick so I'm interested to find out if you were successful.

Thanks

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 16
I find I get a perfectly good volume level on the 0404 USB when I set both knobs to zero. Since you're inputting a line-level signal, you don't really need any gain. I'd rather boost the gain in software than in the 0404, if I really need to.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Doesn't sound that great. I might be doing something wrong, but I prefer the CD over 24/96 flac file from Audition. Just doesn't have much depth, sounds a bit muddy... nowhere near it sounds even through the direct monitor mode on the EMU 0404.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't sound that great. I might be doing something wrong, but I prefer the CD over 24/96 flac file from Audition. Just doesn't have much depth, sounds a bit muddy... nowhere near it sounds even through the direct monitor mode on the EMU 0404.

Do not use audio restoration tools at all.

Try also by adding a steep enough HP filter (24-48dB/oct @ ~20Hz) to get rid of harmful low frequencies.

You may try Rubberfilter - Christian’s Blog » EQs & Filters

jiitee

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nowhere near it sounds even through the direct monitor mode on the EMU 0404.

Uh Oh.

That means you have some piece of software mucking it up. The quality of your recorded file should be exactly the same as the monitor output from the 0404.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back