Ripping time with EAC. Awful.
Jan 10, 2008 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using EAC and Lame for my ripping needs for a very long time now, but it've started to feel so tedious lately, since it takes about 50 minutes to rip a CD.

I wonder, am I doing anything wrong here? :p
I rip my CD's into WAV and then convert them to 256VBR with Lame, which EAC handles.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 10
It mostly sounds like you're using a drive ill suited to DAE. I have many different optical drives spanning multiple computers, and one of them (a Lite-On DVD/R-W drive) is about as slow as yours. So, I don't use that drive for ripping CDs as I have other drives that perform much better and much faster.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 10
What options do you have set under EAC>Drive Options>Extraction Method?

If you are ripping CD's without major defects to a lossy format, there's no reason to use anything other than burst mode.

I don't believe that use of the secure mode is required to get good rips of clean discs, so I use burst mode, followed by conversion to FLAC within EAC. I average 4 to 5 minutes per CD.

I've also found that using the CD-ROM drive on my desktop provides much faster EAC ripping than with its DVD/R-W drive, even though the spec'd speeds for reading CD's on them are comparable.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Here are some random suggestions:
1) You may want to get a better ripper. CD Freaks.com - Worlds largest digital storage community has a forum with a lot of good hints about CD/DVD drives.
2) If you want to use EAC, I suggest using accurip. Rip it in the faster non-secure mode so you won't wear out your drive. Accurip, if it has data about your disc, can tell you if the rip is good or not. If the rip looks bad you may want to rip it in the slower but more secure mode. If the disc is unknown or have low confidence (not enough data from other people), you want to rip it securely.
3) You may want to invest in dbpoweramp if you have a very good optical drive. Accurip is integrated better in terms of ease of use.

Ripping for 50 minutes is probablly bad. That will wear out your drive rather quickly. Having certain features such as C2 error detection, ability to turn off onboard caching, and having accurate stream support can reduce the number of times EAC has to read the same spot on the disc. Most drives today have accurate stream. Very few or almost none have accurate and reliable C2 error reporting. Few have the ability to turn the caching off too. You want to invest in an optical drive with all of these or most of these capabilities.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I tried ripping with CDex, and that took about 5 minutes.
If I'm going to rip to MP3 anyway, maybe CDex would suffice?

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know about CDex's error correction features, and I would want to be sure that the rip is good. I get a good combination of speed and error-free confidence with dbPoweramp reference edition ($28 with a free 30-day trial). I also found it MUCH easier to set up and use than EAC.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I use EAC and LAME also. The tracks rip very quickly, but something strange sometimes happens during the MP3 conversion process. At first things chug along, with LAME converting at 6-7x speed. Then starting about the second track of the disc, the conversion speed starts dropping fairly quickly. By the last track it's sometimes gotten as low as below 1x.

This doesn't always happen. It sounds like a memory issue but having tried this several times directly after boot-up with no differences, it still is a random occurrence. Any ideas?

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Both EAC and CDex are just interfaces and end up calling the underlaying LAME engine. You ARE using LAME aren't u?

CDex: Go Option -> Settings -> CD drive and review your settings. I would have RETRY 3, and u will be able to see scratched disc if so.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both EAC and CDex are just interfaces and end up calling the underlaying LAME engine. You ARE using LAME aren't u?

CDex: Go Option -> Settings -> CD drive and review your settings. I would have RETRY 3, and u will be able to see scratched disc if so.

Yes, I am using LAME. I'll try that setting in CDex, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back