ripping program to really small file size
Apr 12, 2004 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

eMpAtHy

100+ Head-Fier
i need a program where u can rip songs to a low quality that dosent sound horrible. it sounds like an oxymoron..but i need something that u can take a file and turn it into like 300 kb or something...or something under a mb..

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 13
Maybe you could tell us a little more info on what you're trying to do? Some files, like spoken word, can get pretty small. Also run over to HydrogenAudio for alternative compression options.

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Are you trying to stream, etc? HE-AAC, Speex, etc., are various options, depending on what you're trying to do.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Ogg Vorbis is nice, but you should look into Nero HE-AAC if you want max quality at super low bitrates. Note: it will still sound crappy.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 13
I use cool edit for a bunch of things, everything from ripping to compression, effects, normalising, fades, etc. I don't know if it wil reduce to that size but, you can convert into mp3 and a bunch of formats. Add compression and I guess you're getting to a smaller file size.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 13
i just wanted song on my website in the backround..and i cant exactily have a 40mb .wav in there.

drum: is the program called cool edit?

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 13
Oh, in that case I recommend you not use sounds on a website. Background music on a website is a horrible, horrible idea thought of by even more horrible people. HORRIBLE>.

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, it's called cool edit. I really don't know if it'll do what you want, I'm just guessing. It'll take, for instance, a 40mb wav file down to a 3 or 4 mb mp3, maybe a bit bigger. There's 20 different formats for saving under, and I've only used mp3 and wav. So maybe one of those other fromats will make it low quality. But on second thoughts, this is not free and is quite expensive, so maybe not such a good suggestion from me after all.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
IF you have to do that (say a joke site), unless you want to make the viewer download a plug-in, you basically need to stick to something the browser is already prepared to play. Needing smallish sizes, that arguably is MIDI, MP3 ... or maybe one of the formats handled by an installed media player (WMP, Real, Quicktime, etc.). Depending on how you want to handle it, you can embed those formats. For size likely MIDI, then AAC/Real/WMA/Ogg, then MP3. Personally I'd go with MIDI or AAC, but it's up to you to figure out your user base. Also check some band sites out and see how they handle things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back