Ripping Library: Lossless WMA or WAV.
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TheBlueChanell

New Head-Fier
I'm in the process of re-ripping my library into Windows Media Player 11. Should I rip it in WAV or WMA Lossless? Thanks for your time. Also, how do I go about ripping my library in FLAC or ACC ( I think ACC is the one). Thanks for helping out your fellow noobie head-fi'er.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 20
WAV if you have the HD space.I just grabbed a Western Digital 500Gb RE2 for just this type of project.619 hip hop rap cd's I want to re-rip,80% of them are currently in MP3 320 High through Itunes 6 + 7.

The rest are Apple AAC 256.Is not wave a better way to rip em ?

Just curious...why WMP 11 ?

For AAC just use Itunes I guess ?

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAV if you have the HD space.I just grabbed a Western Digital 500Gb RE2 for just this type of project.619 hip hop rap cd's I want to re-rip,80% of them are currently in MP3 320 High through Itunes 6 + 7.

The rest are Apple AAC 256.Is not wave a better way to rip em ?

Just curious...why WMP 11 ?

For AAC just use Itunes I guess ?

I'm not really a big fan of iTunes. I've always been inbetween win-amp, or WMP, and WMP just worked. If there's something better out there, by all means suggest.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 20
there is no reason to use WAV instead of lossless, as long as your player supports lossless.

In your situation I would choose WMA Lossless.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 20
I would rip into FLAC. This is a lossless codec and it's easily converted into a variety of formats whereas I don't know if there is a WMA Lossless encoder/decoder.

There is absolutely no reason to use WAV. WAV has no tags and you can convert FLAC to WAV at any time you want.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 20
As far as I know, WMP 11 doesn't support FLAC. So if you want to stay with WMP, go with WMA Lossless. If you want to change to a player that supports FLAC, go with Foobar2000, Mediamonkey, the Core Media Player, or DB Power Amp, I believe they all support FLAC after installing a .dll in the components folder (thats how foobar works at least). To encode to FLAC, you'll need either Exact Audio Copy or CDEX and the actual FLAC executable file. You can google where to get the executable. For the full steps to convert to FLAC, use the search feature on here, there are numerous threads pertaining to the process.

any questions, shoot me a PM, I'll try to get more in depth, but off to class now.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no reason to use WAV instead of lossless, as long as your player supports lossless.

In your situation I would choose WMA Lossless.

I thought WAV was a lossless format?
confused.gif

Another vote for FLAC. I use Foobar and I don't miss Windows Media Player one bit.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 20
Well, WAV is really the "base" format. Lossless formats are formats where when you transcode to them, you don't lose data. You don't really transcode into WAV. But yes, if you did, you would not lose data, hence I suppose you could call it a lossless format.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought WAV was a lossless format?
confused.gif

WAV is an audio container, which can hold both lossy and lossless audio.
Its mostly used for PCM streams though, which are the same data as stored on audio CD's. Aka no quality loss compared to the CD.

But as previously said, you should go Lossless WMA. Save storage space and get more features (tags, album art, and more).

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Think about what you want to do with the music before ripping. I wish I'd done this before I started, but I didn't know anything when I started so mistakes are inevitable. Choice of format is dictated by what you'll be doing with the music.

For listening at home, WMA lossless, Apple Lossless and WAV all work well. WAV has the advantage of being playable by anything. WAV files do include tags but they may not be readable by all programs. Audio performance on all three is equivalent, as it is with FLAC.

If you want your music portable, lossless may not be what you want. A lossless file takes up around 5 times the space of a good MP3, requiring more hard-disk access for playback. Your battery life goes down.

For use with a network music player (example: Squeezebox) any format will work.

So... if you get along well with Windows Media Player, and plan to stick with that, I'd recommend Windows Lossless. You will, however, have a hard time finding a portable to play these files. You'll end up transcoding to MP3 for portable use.

No matter which format you use, I highly recommend paying attention to the tags when you rip. Getting the information right the first time around will save you lots of problems and headaches down the road. "Where was that song?..." Tags read from the Internet are often wrong to some degree, and sometimes they're way off.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Well,I disregard everything I told you to do !
smily_headphones1.gif
I just learned a lot myself,thanks for the tips and info guys and gals !

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 20
Windows Lossless is a useless format. None of the Plays for Sure DAPs play it, and it is only compatiable with Windows Media Player. I would say use Fubar and rip in Flac. Or even Apple Lossless because at least the iPod plays it.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD space is so cheap All my music is wav. I don't trust the wma/flac ..etc decoders ..but I trust good old pcm.

I am sure the developers want to hear from you if you ever found a bug in FLAC or WMA Lossless decoding routine.

But of course you are free to use the format/codec that suit you the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back