Ripping high res from DVD-A, it's easy now
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that the levels could be adjusted in Audacity before the downmix so there's no clipping. I'll try it sometime. I'd like a solution, since I only use Linux at home.

I'd also like to figure this out, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Anyone here have any insight into doing this with Audacity?

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 40
OK, I tried downmixing several tracks on different DVD-As that were 5.1 (with no stereo tracks). The results were not that great and no where in the league of 24/96 stereo track rips form DVD-A's with with both stereo and 5.1.

Perhaps, the problem is that although you can downmix the surround channels and stereo channels (4 channels to 2) the center and .1 (sub) channels are on different track subsections, and they too, would need to mixed in. I don't think the software can do that. Am I missing something?

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 40
I don't see any reason (Audacity at least) couldn't put the center and bass tracks in the downmix. In fact, according to that article, that's probably all you'd want, since usually (but not always) the rear surround tracks are just echo and stuff. I'm no audio engineer, I just want to hear the 5.1 version of Still Life on my headphones.

The "5.1" mix on the Still Life DVD did not have a bass track. The center channel is mostly vocals and some drums, but interestingly some guitar was only on what I assume are the surround tracks. So for this one I used all channels in the mix. First I used the amplify effect to reduce all channels 6db. (When I omitted this step, the downmix levels got raised (due to channels coming together), and there was clipping.) I could have probably reduced it less since the result was still a ways off from peak, but I didn't want to do it again. Anyway, the result seems pretty good, but it's hard to compare. At least this version isn't as hot as the original (the remix is even worse), and doesn't have the channel dropouts on The Moor. But I'm sure it could be done better. The article said to make the center track stereo and reduce it more so it would go equally into the left and right. However, I left it and the other two as mono. I'm not exactly sure how Audacity balances those stereo-wise, but I know it included them because the downmix includes some guitar parts that aren't in the original left and right tracks, so I know they came from the surrounds.

The other disc I was playing with was David Gilmour - Remember That Night. That did have a bass track, and the rear channels seemed more surround-y that music-y. I might have to do that one differently. The 2-ch mix on it is good anyway, but I had it handy.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SACDs still can't be ripped right? I guess not having SACD drives for computers is a bit of a stumbling block for that.

They can but it's not for the faint of heart. You'll need an SACD player that converts DSD to PCM, and hack the hardware to capture the PCM stream.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #37 of 40
Some rip SACDs the "bad" way (ie. run the player through soundcard's ADC) but it still sounds fine.

Exactly what SACD players are there that actually convert DSD to PCM and offer coax/toslink outputs? I thought there were very few.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly what SACD players are there that actually convert DSD to PCM and offer coax/toslink outputs? I thought there were very few.

There are none. It is possible though to open it up and tap directly into the I2S stream, attach a pcm reciever and output via spdif.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They can but it's not for the faint of heart. You'll need an SACD player that converts DSD to PCM, and hack the hardware to capture the PCM stream.

But in that case, it's DSD -> lossy downconversion -> PCM. Why not skip a step and get it in PCM in the first place (i.e. DVD-Audio)? That's my question to SACD owners, considering most current SACD players downconvert to PCM anyway. Jus' sayin'.
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #40 of 40
Can I please bump this thread and will anyone see it

Im late to the game as usual .

I downloaded DVDAExplorer2008.07.21 , as the most recent i could see

Now at first i got all confused with this thread ,but decided to give it a
whack any how .

To me , it appeared to have taken my DVDA of Katatonias_Dead end kings
of 11 tracks , and i appear to  have 11 tracks of what appear to be exact rips
of the actual songs from the dvd in wav 24/48 ,then confusion mounts with
24 other tracks which appear to be parts of or other mixes of those 11 songs .
Some or all say Channels:4 ( quadrophonic)

I need some advice to tell me what exactly am i looking at here ?

I seem to have perfect rips of the actual 11 tracks on the dvda ,so wonder why
id need a program like audacity ,but that was a few years ago here . The 11 tracks i have
seem perfect rips . And im not sure wot those other 24 pieces are tho,tho their run times
appear to match the original 11 tracks

Do i have perfect rips of the stereo 24 bit remixes ? and to get surround i need something to
joing these 24 files ? Im confused and guessing

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back