Ripping hidden tracks with EAC
Mar 11, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Anyway...

So I want a specific hidden track off one of my CDs. However, there is 3:00 of silence before the music starts at the beginning of the track. Is there anyway to skip those 3:00 at the beginning with EAC? If not, is there a free (yes I'm that cheap) program to what I ask? Thanks for the replies...

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not sure what you mean by hidden, finleyville. I think what you mean is this track is just appended on the end of another track, seperated by silence.

This does not mean it's hidden; the track in question will be say 10 minutes long, with 3.5 minutes of music to start with, then 3 minutes of silence, then another 3.5 minutes of music.

Crowded House do this on their "Woodface" album ("How Will You Go?"); Offspring do it on "Americana" ("Pay the Man").

The simple and visual way to pull just the last part of the track out is to rip the entire track to a wav, and open it in a sound editor such as Nero Wave Editor. You can then crop the file to just the part you want, and then do whatever you like with it.

Alternatively the ripping program you use should allow you to modify the track properties; the existing "tracks" you see in the software are just what the software has read from the CD's table of contents. Music CDs are actually a continuous stream of music; a track is a virtual thing not a physical entity.

So you can tell the ripping software where a track begins and ends. You should be able to specify the beginning and end of a track by both time (mins: secs) and track sectors.

Look under the Action menu on EAC.

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by badmonkey
I'm not sure what you mean by hidden, finleyville. I think what you mean is this track is just appended on the end of another track, seperated by silence.

Usually that is how a "hidden" track is placed on a CD. However, in this case this last track starts with silence then begins the music. Weird. I have Nero Express and didn't find a wav editor. I'll look more closely at EAC. Maybe I'll find something there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back