Ripping help
Jul 29, 2006 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DigiPete

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

New to the world portable audio. Just got an Ipod.

I got EAC and Lame. I am ripping using 192khz VBR with the setting posted elswhere on here. This combo rips and sounds great, but EAC does not seem to have access to a database for all the song info, so I have to type it all in.

Is there another way to do this and keep LAME? Any other good options. Seems like Itunes can do the 192VBR as well - does the built in encoder do as well as LAME?

Cheers
Pete

Question answered!! Thanks

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Database -> Get Information From -> Remote freedb
-Have you tried this?

I can't tell if you are saying you cant get any info or just having problems with a few, so if its the former this will do the trick. I have ripped probably 650 albums and have only had to type in my own info for one...and that was a friend's band so was not mass released.
Hope this helps.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Freedb is not operating any more. Victim it appears of some open-source fanaticism, which caused a falling out among the operators. There is something called freedb2 which I think has already gone into operation.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Maybe it's been taken over already? You can see the whole mess on the freedb website. I am not certain that it stopped functioning altogether; but that is the impression I got.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 8
[size=x-small]Alt-G in EAC with a CD in the drive gets the album information.[/size]

You can make it find it automatically.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
whoa!!! yeah, when did this happen?! that's horrible. it's ridiculous how people will target things as innocuous as freedb. it's sickening.

Well, before we get too high and mighty about it, AFAIK freedb was a labor of non-profit love by just a few people for many years. When they have a falling out, it's sad. But we should thank them for what they did all those years, not get self righteous about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back